Author Topic: Best LB handle , how to build one  (Read 200 times)

Offline Gundog68

• Trad Bowhunter
Best LB handle , how to build one
« on: April 05, 2012, 01:38:00 AM »
Hi,
after 10 year successfully shooting a longbow i get a lesson in how to shoot a bow from a real pro. With the new insights i now would like a bow with a low grip instead of a deep grip. You can check this by yourself be draw the bow some inches and check if any movement in your bow hand will affect the tension in the string or pressure point (hard to write how it is).
I own a lot different bows and checked all for good grips. My old Thunderstick III is good, my new BigJim is a little to thick but i can shoot very accurate with this bow.

So i would recommend:
- low wrist (better for high draw weight and less impact to the pressure point)
- small , but big enough to have comfort for a lot of arrows. This supports less torque on the bow.

What do you like and how do you build your preferred handles ?

Thanks

Any advice out there for how I go about re-shaping a bow handle to fit my hand better

Offline wally7

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best LB handle , how to build one
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 04:20:00 AM »
Can you explain what low wrist or low grip mean?
thanks

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best LB handle , how to build one
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
Low wrist means that the pressure point, when drawing the bow, lies in your palm and not between thumb and index as it would when shooting a recurve.

Fred Asbell wrote in one of his books that a longbow is shot preferably with a firm grip. He says that you have to control the bow or the bow will control you. I totaly agree with him on that point, my results are way more constant if I shoot with a grip that is firm and not to loose.

I don't like a narrow grip, therefore I make the grips on my longbows a bit wider than usual and shape a small flat surface for my palm to rest on. By doing this I make sure that the bow lies flat and stable in the bow hand and don't wiggle sideways during the draw.

----------
Andy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©