Author Topic: Mulberry Sapwood  (Read 250 times)

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
Mulberry Sapwood
« on: April 12, 2012, 03:38:00 PM »
I cut some big mulberry logs a couple of months ago and left the bark on all of it except one piece. Just to experiment I split a piece about 4" wide off of one of the logs and peeled the bark off but didnt seal the back with anything. Its been standing in the corner of the shop since then. I fully expected the sapwood to check anywhere and everywhere kinda like osage does. But to my surprise it only developed one check and that was coming out of a knot. I know that osage or black locust would've developed checks everywhere in the sapwood and I figured the mulberry would do the same. Just thought I'd share this and I wandered if anyone else had any input.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mulberry Sapwood
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 05:34:00 PM »
I see 2 checks. One around the knot and the other towards the tip.  Jawge

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
Might depend upon when it was cut.  I cut some during the summer, took off bark and sealed the sapwood.  Two weeks later it was checking like crazy!  Had to hurry up and remove sapwood and reseal.  It was really wet and it was really hot out.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 07:52:00 AM »
Yeah George I guess I only counted that as one because they are going to run into each other anyway.

Mitch, this was cut and debarked in January so that may have a lot to do with it.

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
Okie - I bet you are right.  The stuff I cut in the summer seems to check easier.  I had some white woods check a bit even.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©