Author Topic: First crack at clear glass  (Read 235 times)

Offline GentlemanArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
First crack at clear glass
« on: April 12, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
Hi All,

A few questions about getting the best look out of the veneers I'll be using with some clear glass.  I did a search through the forum but didn't find what I was looking for, so here it goes.

I'm looking at making two bows, one with walnut veneers and the other with some great maple I found.

For the maple I plan on using a water base "colonial oak" stain to bring out the grain some before gluing up.  Does that sound correct? Or do I even need this?  Does the epoxy and glass do a good job of pronouncing the grain in light wood?

And a similar question for the walnut.  I love the look of a tru-oil finish on walnut.  I know I can't use tru-oil with epoxy, so do you do any type of finish with the walnut veneer before you glue up?  Or just sand mostly smooth and let the epoxy and glass bring out the grain?

Thanks,
GA

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First crack at clear glass
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 06:15:00 PM »
The walnut will darken up nicely once you apply glue- with maple if it is figured or quilted I like the looks with no dye/stain- that being said you can enhance the look by using stain- just be aware it will be darker once you glue it up. Also only use water based or alcohol based stains or dyes.

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First crack at clear glass
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 06:28:00 PM »
Trux is right, don't stain the Walnut it's going to be dark enough after you apply glue. Stain will just cover up any figure you may have.  

For the Maple, that just depends on what you want to look at, try a little glue at the tip of the belly laminations.  See if you want it darker.  (You have to cut the belly lam's a few inches short before you glue up)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©