Author Topic: bow repair question, help please. (pics added)  (Read 323 times)

Offline troutremble

• Trad Bowhunter
bow repair question, help please. (pics added)
« on: April 13, 2012, 07:22:00 PM »
I have a 63# @ 28" Spirit reflex/deflex take down longbow with a bow bolt in it. I had it custom made 6 years ago and it has been a wonderful bow. However, last week I heard a crack while shooting. There is now a 1/16" gap at the front of the junction between the two halves (1/8" when strung), and a hairline crack in the middle of riser on top half. The bowyer has graciously offered to make me a new one piece at under cost even though this bow is several years out of warrenty and I will take him up on it. BUT...I want to fix this one even if it means it cant be taken down. Any ideas???

Offline troutremble

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bow repair question, help please. (pics added)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
Probaly doesnt need saying but it is a glass laminate with bamboo vaneers, a carbon strip in core, and a bacote riser

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
I'm thinking it is now a wall hanger.  I don't have any experience with a bow bolt take down system, but If the bowyer didn't mention anything about being able to repair it, then it's probably done for.  Even if you could get smooth-on in the hairline crack, glue bowth sections together and clamp it up real good while the smooth-on cures, I still don't think I'd trust it.

The bow bolt is a really neat take down idea, but I have heard/read about more problems with that take down system than any others.  -Just my observation based on what I've read and I don't have any experience with it myself.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline troutremble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 11:21:00 PM »

this is a pic of riser, unstrung of course.

Offline troutremble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »

What about grinding down surface of back of handle, fitting a plate in represented by black line and drilling in screws represented by yellow lines. I would have to find suitable materials of course.

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
I would hang it up. If you try to fix it I think you will end up with a headache, a broken heart, and a broken bow.
 If you insist on trying to fix it I would recommend filling the cracks with thin superglue, gluing the halves together with smooth-on and gluing on a clear glass handle cap. But personally I would hang it up and not shoot it.
I didnt miss, thats right where I was aiming

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 02:53:00 AM »
Save the headaches and retire it.
High on Archery.

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 06:10:00 AM »
that bow is telling you something!
that crack is headed for the shelf-a common failure point
you heard the first crack......
Mike

Offline troutremble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
Well dang! Alright, new bow it is. New adventures too.

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »
From your photo it looks something like a Connexion Hinge istallation except that it would be solid,one-piece.  The Hinges I have installed have held up well, but my fear in this instance would be the overall integrity of he riser wood that you would be drilling into with the screws.  I would be more likely to try it if the draw weight on the bow was about 10 lbs. less or if there was some phenolic or something in the riser to add additional strength.

Another thought would be to work as much glue (epoxy, superglue, whatever) into the joint and cracked area and let it cure. Then grind the entire handle area down 1/8 to 3/16 inch in the same manner Big Jim does with his takedown bows when he is building the fiberglass sleeve.  Rebuild the handle area with strips of epoxy-impregnated fiberglass as he shows on his website build-along and then sand back down to get your handle shape. He says he uses the system for 80 and 90 lb bows, so there should be enough strength to repair your bow, though it would make it a one-piece.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©