Author Topic: Gizmo Tillering Question  (Read 315 times)

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
Gizmo Tillering Question
« on: April 16, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »
I'm working on the first bow I have induced reflex into. I glued on a hickory backing strip with about 2" of reflex in each limb. As I am tillering, the gizo is indicating that the ends of the limbs are stiff. My worry is that this is a false read because of the reflex and I will allof a sudden end up with a whip tillered limp noodle. I am still post tillering and have not gotten it to a short string yet but am getting close. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I will charge my camera and try to get some photo's up later this evening.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gizmo Tillering Question
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
You want to leave the last 8 to 9 inches of the tips stiff. My limb tips actually stay reflexed like a recurve, but I flip the tips too.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
Thanks Roy,
I have the limbs stiff, it is the midlimb area that has me worried. the first half of the limb looks to be bending nicely and then it stiffens up.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
When you go to a regular string, that will put more tension on the outer limbs and they will bend then. As long as there is nothing major wrong with the tiller, get it to a 6 inch brace height before you do any major wood removal. I don't like those real long tillering strings, they lie. I cut in my string nocks and put a real string on the bow right from the start. The first time I brace the bow, my string lays tight up againist the belly of the handle.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
Ok, this bow is ready for the short string then. I'll cut some nocks and see what it looks like.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
Cool, and get that darn camera charged up:)

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
Here you go Roy,what do you think.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »
I think it looks pretty darn good.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
Razorback, what is your core wood?
I like to put 2-3" of reflex into my hickory backed osage and they tend to come out fairly straight after tillering and shooting in.
My tips are stiff for at least 6". The gizmo does show the tips stiff, but they are intended to be.
Luck!

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 06:32:00 AM »
@Red hill, I believe the core wood is Birch. It is from a 2*10 board I found in a barn several years ago. At the time I did a bunch of investigating and the consensus was that it could be birch. Fairly hard and heavy with a SG of around .7. I have made one shooter bow out of it that was unbacked. It didn't survive some bad tillering and a rushed stringing  :(  I'm hoping thin Hickory will give it the strength and stability that it seemed to lack on my other attempts at a bow with it.
My concern with the reflex in this one is that the outer third (not including the 6" tip section) is reading stif from the gizmo and I don't know if it is caused by the reflex or that it is stiff. Will put a string on it like Roy said and try to get a better idea from there.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
I agree to get a string on it if it's moving enough to get the string on. Just a guess from your photo the gizmo is telling the truth.
My experience is with straight or reflexed bows once strung the gizmo is right on.
R/D bows not till later in the tillering.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©