Author Topic: Bamboo failure  (Read 284 times)

Offline critter69

• Trad Bowhunter
Bamboo failure
« on: April 23, 2012, 11:47:00 PM »
I have only built a few bow so far (6) I have not had an issue with limbs until now. I used bambo as a core I noticed while tillering I could almost mould the one limb with my hand.(meaning lean it off center,slightly twist it)I drew the bow back a few times and stood back to look at limb alignment when the limb seperated. It was not a glue failure but a portion of the bamboo seperated.I dont believe this is normal,as I thought bamboo was supposed to help performance. Has any one else had this problem,or should I not have used the boo?(I will not use it any more,but was just wondering if its normal )Three piece take down,long bow,R/D.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bamboo failure
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 11:59:00 PM »
It sounds like a glue failure to me, but without a picture it is hard to tell. Also, Im not sure, but i think you are talking about a fiberglass bow? Some pics will help you out, probably more than I did. The only advice I can think off for that would be to peel em apart, salvage what you can, and start over. If It's a glass bow, then don't listen to me.  :)  I've only seen em built.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline critter69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 06:45:00 PM »
Yes it is a glass bow,but it was not a glue failure. It split right down the center of the bamboo.There is still bamboo on both surfaces of the glue joint. The bamboo almost looks like dry rot.(but I dont know what bamboo looks like when torn apart)I cant figure out how to post pics.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 10:31:00 PM »
Was it laminated boo?  I've heard of the glue joints in action boo where its laminated together from the factory coming apart.  A glue failure like that would still have boo on both sides of the split.

Offline johnny girardi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
Yes I have seen bamboo and action boo fail like this.Sometimes you can get dry rot areas,worm hole spots.I have seen action-boo amber to dark brown that it is over cooked and weekened.You have to bend this stuff yourself and listen for cracking sound weak spots will even bend funny.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©