3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Did ya ever see a deer like this  (Read 1919 times)

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Did ya ever see a deer like this
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2008, 11:17:00 PM »
If legal you would not catch me passing on a piebald deer  :D  Extremely rare and would make a fantastically beautiful mount. They taste just as good as a "regular" deer too!

Kevin.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
I passed on a button buck this fall that had a horse shoe ring on his back,, I nick named him lucky,,
TGMM

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2008, 12:01:00 AM »
Never a whitetail, but I've seen a few blacktail like that on the Washington coast when I was hiking with some Boy Scouts.  (They were either piebald, or the rain had washed out their pigment:-)

Ron

Offline Hardawaypoints

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2008, 12:26:00 AM »
A few years ago,I had a piebald doe that hung around near the house and fed with the deer that show up to eat daily.  It ended up getting wounded during rifle season and vanished a month after that.  I'm quite sure the white coloration made it more visible and perhaps led someone to take a bad shot at it.

I have seen more albino deer than piebalds though.
Luck Counts, good or bad

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2008, 04:26:00 AM »
If I get at shot at one; I will take it. I think being a piebald deer falls under the 'bummer of a birthmark' category.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2008, 08:02:00 AM »
Saw a piebald doe way up in Washington county in Maine many years ago. One year, while hunting in Southern Maine I saw a doe with two pure albino fawns. They were very small for that time of year and I never found out what happened to them. But I would see her from time to time with the fawns. Although I never had a shot at the doe I would not have taken her because the fawns were so tiny. I seem to remember that in Maine it was illegal to shoot white or piebald deer.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2008, 08:19:00 AM »
I saw a pair of twins a few years back that were piebald. One was almost blonde and white, and the other was a dark chocolate brown and white.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
Yes it's dead if I got the chance.

Offline Mr Vic at the cabin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2008, 02:32:00 PM »
Giving the chance at it i would let it walk. I'm not into scientific genetic reasons, but follow another reason why. Like the white buffalo or a white Bear. I believe any animal that is marked this way is for a reason not of this world. To just kill or take something because it looks cool, different and to trophy it otherwise without respect is ok for some. Thats their decision, but me i would let it walk and admire it.
"If i could help just ONE person on the good path and see things they did not understand i would feel that i have accomplished something worthy in my life."  Ken Mowery (Adkmountainman)

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »
I've seen plenty.  They tend to be regional phenomena with some areas having a high percentage and others low or none.  I saw a piebald buck last year within a mile of my house.  VA has no hangups about shooting such deer and neither do I.

Offline john1271

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »
had two of them behind the house white and tan  and the other was silver and black with a dark face took pics and sent to a deer biologist and he was amazed.what was cool was seeing the tan and white one at dusk she glowed the other does always ran her off.hunted her for two years and some one up the road shot her the silver one havent seen either
black creek banshe 41#@28 60"god bless and have a red letter day...

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2008, 02:48:00 PM »
Yeper, if it's legal and taste good I am all over it  ;)
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »
I shot one about 10 years ago in Ohio. It was all white with 3 brown spots on her hind quarter. My buddy did a full mount of her. I'll try to dig up the pics.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »
My ex brother in law  still calls my Dad up every year and asks him to go hunting on Dads land and of course my Dad lets him go because he hates to say no . My ex brother in law is slack and has to hunt one of our stands because he calls right before opening day so this year he got in my Dads main deer stand on opening day while Dad and I were at work and killed a nice piebald 8 point . My Dads about 70 and I sure wish he would have got that piebald . Its the first one Ive seen with that nice of a rack and Ive only saw two in my life .

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2008, 04:52:00 PM »
I had three within a mile from my house.In the last thirty years I seen about twelve in different countys on the hoof and about ten in butcher shops and about another ten in peoples homes hanging on the wall.In the early eightys on a farm my parents rented we had a pure white doe we watched on several occasions out on the edge of our woods and that same doe had a piebald one year...I never got pics of her but the memories live in my mind forever...I even had a gamewarden friend that went with me to a bible study and on the way home to my house I had one laying in a farmers yard and another step in front of my truck .They were together that night...We both just sat there in and appreciated the moment to watch them...I didn't even turn my high beams on cause I remembered I had a gamewarden sittin right next to me...  :eek:

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »
Yeah I'd have to slip a arrow in the ribs also. that is if'n it was legal.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »
I really like what Mr. Vic said   :thumbsup:    :notworthy:    :)
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2008, 09:16:00 PM »
I shot one this past fall in North Caroliana.  Had the hide tanded and it is so beautiful that my wife and mom could not believe it!  I'll post the picture of the hide if I get a chance.
Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2008, 09:25:00 PM »
I took one in 1995. My friend has the skin hanging in his house. People notice that before they notice his big buck mounts.

Offline vizsla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
I saw one about 6 yrs ago  a nice buck just on the city limit  watched him till dark a shotgun guy got him two weeks later he was in the paper. i hate   shotguns!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©