Author Topic: Very wet wood?  (Read 201 times)

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
Very wet wood?
« on: May 06, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »
Hiya fellas, I finally had some time to get back into the shop the past two weekends. Last weekend I cut some large branches off a cherry tree and kept and couple for bow wood.
Never worked with cherry before, but i noticed the wood seem unusually wet? Long story short, I cut a peace to make a walking stick for my pop. I had it clamps to straighten it; I took a look at it yesterday and noticed several good size splits forming?
I was wondering were these caused from not sealing it with glue or did it have something to do with the high moisture content of this wood? Trying to gain some insight since I have some staves and wouldn't want this to happen to them.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Very wet wood?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 04:03:00 PM »
Early summer wood is super saturated. When you peel the bark off or cut it that high moisture content rushes to escape causing splits and cracks One way to prevent that is leaving the brak on to control moisture escape and the other is to peel the bark off and seal the back and ends to also slow it down. Some split no matter what you do. You compensate by cutting longer pieces.

Offline Steve B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 06:15:00 PM »
I have one walking stick that I made and it too is cherry and it too split in two places.  I filled the splits with glue.

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 07:59:00 AM »
Thanks for the info fellas. I went ahead and sealed the staves with glue.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©