Author Topic: First Bamboo backed Ipe  (Read 217 times)

Offline TwangThwack

• Trad Bowhunter
First Bamboo backed Ipe
« on: May 13, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
Hey all, Going to slowly post my attempt at a bbi long bow.  Right now the bow has the profile roughed out with draw knife and rasp, didn't take any pictures prior to that.  So I have a 64" overall, 3 inch elevated tips at glue up, 1 1/8 center, taper starts 8 inches out and goes to 3/8ths at tips. I have a knot that I will have to work with on one limb. Shooting for a no bs simple sleek bow that is in the 50lb range. right now it is stiff as all get out and I am going to get the back shaped and start thinning the sides to see just how narrow I can go. So far I am amazed at the qualities of Ipe/Boo, coming from home depot red oak it is a real eye opener, it cuts and tools so easy. Added bonus, no allergies! This will be a slow post and success is not even close to guaranteed... fun time either way.

Edit....photobucket appears to lag after resize, will get pictures of knot up once it updates.
Making good wood into high end kindling since 2011

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Bamboo backed Ipe
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 11:00:00 PM »
I build one as an experiment one time that was about 7/8 of an inch wide at the widest point on the limbs.  It still came out at 61 or 62#@28.  My bbi blanks start out around 1 1/2 inches wide and usually end up around 1 1/4 wide.  Good luck with your build, I'm sure it will turn out great.

Offline Loren Holland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 04:01:00 AM »
I love BBI. Just a word about IPE. My first couple came out very light, even though IPE is so much more capable. At first it won't show/feel like you have taken some off. You have to exercise it, and be patient. I wasn't. I didn't exercise it enough and just kept taking it off.

You are fortunate to not have the allergies that others have. I am sure you are wearing the proper PPE, etc, but just a friendly reminder. I don't really have a wood shop (just a garage) with ventilation, etc. But wear a mask and long sleeves, then vacuum up at minimum. you can develop the reaction the more you work with it, not just ipe, any of several woods. I am just saying this, so you won't make the same mistake i did.  i went from red oak to ipe, just like you, and got fine powdered reddish ipe all over the place. now i itch from it, even though i didn't at first.

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 07:08:00 AM »
LOL Cuts and tools EASY?!?!?!?! I've worked it with a rasp and a surform and "easy" isnt what I would call it!
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline Jeff Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
I actually agree on the tools. I'm working on one now and its easy with a sure form to hog off wood and the cabinet scraper glides right along with nice long curls. I have made more than a few backed and unbacked ipe bow. I like you can make a shorter skinny bow with it. Get more bows out of one board. Cheaper and better than Red Oak.
Good luck on yours.
Jeff

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©