Author Topic: 1st Self Bow Started  (Read 197 times)

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
1st Self Bow Started
« on: May 17, 2012, 02:43:00 AM »
I got lucky and managed to trade for 2 Hop Hornbeam staves.  I didn't know a whole lot about the wood previously, but all the reading I've done says it's some really good bow wood.  It has a "muscled" back which is why there are the pockets of brown left on the back.  If you tried to just get it all out with a draw knife, you'd cut through all the high spots.

It's pretty straight, but I've noticed a bit of twist in one limb.

Need to start removing some wood towards the fade so it's bending a bit more...

Need to get on building a tillering tree and a new (sharper) 4 way rasp/file-HHB is REALLY hard...  Hopefully I'll end up with a stick that'll fling an arrow    :)   .

------I hope the pics aren't too big...I keep trying to resize them in photobucket, but regardless, they end up at this size.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline briarjumper12

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1st Self Bow Started
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 08:09:00 AM »
I like the look of the back.  Sand and finish with the brown still on there.  I done my last hickory that way and everyone that's seen it likes it.  I had removed it all the previous ones.  Hickory has that muscled look too.  I like it, gives it character.
Looks like a hinge starting at midlimb, definatley get the fades working.
Blessed be the Lord my strength; which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1st Self Bow Started
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 07:52:00 AM »
You can narrow to 3/4 in nocks . After bracing to see how the string lines up you can narrow to 1/2 inch nocks. Jawge

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©