3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Photo of my deer feeding endeavor  (Read 382 times)

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
Photo of my deer feeding endeavor
« on: February 24, 2008, 06:47:00 PM »
My wife snapped this picture from about 250 yards at about 5:00 p.m. this afternoon. I had put out about 25, 2-pound piles of cracked corn and will continue to do so 4-5 days a week through the third week of March. By then, they should be good to go.

I use the saw horses as a game cleaning station.

"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Photo of my deer feeding endeavor
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »
Great pic! Looks like there will be plenty of deer to eat your feed. From the long distance look, it looks like they are doing OK. It should be interesting to see if you find any shed in the area where you have started the feeding.

Glad to see you made it back from the Bunny Stomp OK  :D

Kevin.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 06:59:00 PM »
Monty, ya should spead it around. deer lik to forage for it and piles spread disease easier. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 07:09:00 PM »
Good point Shawn and not overlooked. Where the deer are standing in this photo, the piles are spread out running north and south at about four yard intervals. I did this just to to help 'em find it. Over the next few feedings, I intend to do exactly what you have recommended for the reasons you have sited.
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 07:11:00 PM »
hey monty great looking deer there   but I agree with shawn  you should spread it around a little more

other than that looks great
St. Joe River Bows

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »
Keep your eyes out for dogs and yotes.They key in on those feeding areas.Have they had a tough winter?

Offline BFinegan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »
I would never pile it. Too much potential for disease. That's one of the reasons cattle are full of antiobiotics. They eat out of the same trough. If you "need" to feed them it would be better to broadcast it. I doubt they need help finding it.
"Ships in Harbor are safe, but that is not what Ships were made for"

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 07:39:00 PM »
Agreed about not pile feeding!

No dogs running loose in the area. We do have a fair number of coyotes in the area though. Was out yote hunting late yesterday afternoon and had a couple different groups answer my calls. No takers though. I believe our coyote season ends on March 1st.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
Labs4me, just thought I would let you know, March 1st is the last day for NIGHTTIME hunting for fox and coyote. Coyote remains open until April 15th, from one half hour before sunrise, to one half hour after sunset.

The first two weeks of March can be good calling, especially if the snow lingers until then.  :D

Offline draco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »
You have a season on coyotes. Man thats just wrong in so many ways.

Offline Hardawaypoints

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 12:36:00 AM »
Cool picture. I feed the deer every day here at my house and they would eat 200 pounds a day if I put it out for 'em (or could afford to).  Supplimental food can be important to help the herd get through the winter, especially if you live where winters get harsh.

There is plenty to eat year-round here in N.C., I just like being able to observe and learn the behavior of the deer.  Finding shed antlers is also a nice bonus...if I get them before the squirrels or mice do.
Luck Counts, good or bad

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 12:55:00 PM »
Cracked corn? wow your spoiling them now Monty!

The pheasants will love you too!

I took a coyote sunday afternoon, the family was setting down to dinner watching the turkeys and deer and my dad noticed one sneaking along the fencerow.
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©