Author Topic: Hackberry Limb  (Read 265 times)

Offline Dell M

• Trad Bowhunter
Hackberry Limb
« on: May 31, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
Wind broke a 6" limb out of my hackberry tree. I have it cut to lenght and ends sealed, will split it out today. Do I just peel the bark to get a back, or do I need to chase a ring? Best style of bow for this wood? Need advice, Thanks.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hackberry Limb
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
Peel the back and seal ends and back with shellac. I had some hackberry check after debarking so just to be safe seal it.

This page has pictures of the hackberry bow I finished for the 2012 TG swap. Most of the details are in the swap thread.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=007772;p=2

Offline KeithG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
do not chase a ring. Peel the bark off. Sand with paper than use a socket extension(3/4" x 6") and rub as hard as you can.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
I peel the bark, seal the ends and leave the back alone. I have built all kinds of hackberry bows of various styles. My last one was a 56" static recurve with 3 layers of sinew. 66" long, 1 3/4" wide fades for a 25-29" draw is a solid design for your first few. Heat treating is almost essential to keep some zip in the bow. Hackberry is very soft and will follow the string without tempering.

Offline Dell M

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 03:58:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice, I ended up with 3 fairly good staves, so I'll try a couple different ways.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
I think coaster had some experience with hackberry too but I can't remember. You can't go wrong listening to Chris though. Heat tempering is almost as tedious as sinew (ok not even close) but its also effective. Good luck and keep us posted

Offline WestTexan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 11:30:00 PM »
I've got one going for the swap right now... 66" to start with,13/4 wide at the fades out to 6 inches then tapered to 1/2 at the tip but left that wide for now also. I hope to get some pics up in a day or 2.... It will be on the swap thread.

Offline RingChaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
Pearl,
What is the best way to heat treat Hackberry. I believe this is something I have been missing. It seems even when I start with good reflex, the bow ends up with more string follow than I should. I sure good use some solid advise when it come to the Hackberry.

Offline WestTexan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 12:01:00 AM »
You can put it back on your cawl and toast it. I set my heat gun on high and heat about 6 inches at a time to a light brown and lightly clamp it down as I go. You will need to check the tiller again...it's hard to really keep the heat even so you will have stiffer spots or at least I have anyway.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©