Author Topic: 1x42 belt sander worth buying?  (Read 588 times)

Offline Jomohr84

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1x42 belt sander worth buying?
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »
Just checked out Rob DiStefano's tutorial on feather grinding as well and will have to try it out, that could save me some cash as I spend about $30.00 on feathers for every dozen shafts I fletch.
Jonathan Mohr

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 03:43:00 PM »
I agree with Macbow. If you are making self-bows, which you said you wanted to, then the 1 inch sander is virtually useless. You'll get more use from the disk sander. Set up a jig for cutting point takers and another for the nock if you don't use selfnocks. Jawge

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2012, 01:51:00 AM »
I use the heck out of mine to shape the sight window and grips on glass bows and the handle and fades on selfbows.  It saves a lot of time.

Be careful though, like Pat said, it can ruin a bow fast.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Jomohr84

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »
Used it for the first time the other day, tapered fades, trimmed glued linen from edges, and roughed out tip overlays, worked very well, just had to use a light touch and go slow. It wasn't much faster than the rasp, but saved me a lot of sweat. It  trimmed the linen perfectly straight down the limb edges, then I used the double cut file to round back edges. Roughed out tip overlay tapers then again used file to finish. Saved time on bulk wood removal, which is good for me since I don't have a lot of free time to work on bows lately.
Jonathan Mohr

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 12:39:00 AM »
I recently bought the Jet 12" benchtop and I wonder why it took so long.  I use the disc to get the limbs to rough shape, and it is awesome to get the riser pad angles perfect on 3 piece take downs.

I would love to find the deal that you did, that is a great machine that will have 1,000 uses!
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©