3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: snuffer 160 users please chime in......  (Read 268 times)

Offline Brack Shooter 32

• Trad Bowhunter
snuffer 160 users please chime in......
« on: February 24, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »
I absolutly love this head but am having a difficult time getting a "hair popping" edge on it. I have tried the snuffer sharpening system with the two files and the leather strop tool. Problem is I seem to be taking way to much steel off and still not getting that wicked sharp edge I am looking for.

How are you guys/gals getting these heads razor sharp??
Go Terps

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: snuffer 160 users please chime in......
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »
This is the way I do it, But I finish with some leather stroping... WW/snuffer sharping

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 09:33:00 PM »
This is what I get from going by the Vid's Mr. Lamb did....(Members Video's & The Bowhunters of Tradgang.com~DVD)  

Offline tradhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 11:53:00 PM »
wow! they do open them deer up!
The wishbone will never replace the backbone.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 08:27:00 AM »
I'm not too concerned with shaving my arm, but I do get them to where they'll shave my thumbnail with virtually no pressure. (like a cabinet scraper) If you tilt them a little, they'll grab at the surface of the nail.
I do the file sharpening method where you keep using lighter and lighter strokes as you go. It's been explained over and over here. I give the heads a quick swipe with a ceramic rod to remove any microscopic burr when I'm done. Kills critters dead.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline hickry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 10:39:00 AM »
I use that same system w/ the two angled files and leather strop.  I paint the blades with a marker, and push the head into the file 5 strokes per side pretty hard.  Repeat until all of the marker is gone (shows that blade is being sharpened fully).  Then go to three strokes per side with medium pressure... then two strokes... then one.  Then go the opposite way with the head... lightly... one stroke per side and repeat.  Stroke lighter and lighter until the only pressure is the weight of the head. At this point, the head should shave easily.  Use the leather strop stroking only once per side and repeat several times.  At this point, the head should POP the hairs off.  I use this method exclusively now... and it WORKS!

Offline C2@TheLibrary

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »
The most common mistake people make when sharpening things, especially broadheads and knives, is to apply too much pressure.That is true regardless of the method used to sharpen something. For the sharpest edge the lightest pressure should be applied. Start with just enough pressure to insure contact with sharpen surface and edge and as you progress lighten the pressure. It is an act of finesse not brute strength.

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »
A  new  file makes a world of difference!

Paul
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©