Author Topic: making your own field points for wood shafts  (Read 244 times)

Offline shongexoe

• Trad Bowhunter
making your own field points for wood shafts
« on: June 15, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
Hey Bowyers and arrow smiths any, ideas on how to make my own field points for wood shafts?any help would be great.

Offline dmikeyj

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: making your own field points for wood shafts
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
I have had good luck using older circular saw blades, cut them out with a dremel tool, throw an edge on it, then heat red hot and quench in old motor oil.  I use my wife's glass bead setup for the heat, just propane gas.

My way is probably not the best for keeping a hard, razor edge, but I just touch them up before using with a nice file.

Mike
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
I love fools' experiments. I am always making them.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
This is one I have used on sourwood shoot arrows but it should work in any wood shaft. It is a piece of bandsaw blade cut about 1 1/2" long and as wide as the shaft. The metal is preshaped and mounted in the shaft just like hafting a trade point. There is a narrowed section on the point and a similar one on the shaft and sinew wrapped. I think I used TB glue to glue the point in. Once it is installed and the glue is dry I shaped the shaft end to match the point. I think i saturated the wood point end with super glue foe extra hardness. It works great and is as tough as any point you will buy.
  The other point is for cane shafts. It is a 16d common nail with a wad of brass brased on the head and shaped into a cone.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Rick James

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 01:34:00 PM »
What are ya'll using to cut the saw blades with?
thanks, Rick
"The credit goes to him who is in the arena, whose face is marred by sweat and blood, who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." T Roosevelt

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
You can use a Dremel tool with a fiber blade or I have better luck with a cold chisle and hammer. I score the metal, break off the piece and shape it on a belt sander or with a file.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©