Author Topic: am I sanding wrong side to correct twist??  (Read 258 times)

Offline JeffBurris

• Trad Bowhunter
am I sanding wrong side to correct twist??
« on: June 16, 2012, 07:43:00 AM »
I just so happen to breeze through this article at    web page  where I was taken aback... he tillers what I consider "upside down" in pic#14 for instruction #32... but anyway: so he's pulling the string toward the ceiling (belly up) YET he's eye the limbs longways and saying if there's twist, sand the HIGH side to correct...? Have I been having problems because I'm sanding the wrong side?
I'd have thought one side is stiffer than the other, resisting being pulled toward the string more than the weaker side -- I'd have thought the weaker side is being pulled closer to the string, meaning you would sand the stiff side which is acting stronger, to weaken it to match.
This guy, unless he's mismatching the pic with the words, is saying sand the side that's pulling more toward the string (up in the pic)... I'd have thought this made it worse...?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: am I sanding wrong side to correct twist??
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 09:43:00 AM »
Jeff, you are doing it correctly. The weak side is closer to the string. Sand the high side. Jawge

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »
Jeff,
Take a look at the diagram in the first post.
  http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=007714#000000
I didnt miss, thats right where I was aiming

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »
The thick/strong side stands strong while the thin/weak side bows.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
I have a hand drawn pic on the wall of my shop of the diagram that Greg is refering too...

Offline JeffBurris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
Oh ok thanks guys! It is a truly special privilege directly rubbing elbows with you including the same authors of web articles and books I've enjoyed reading and owning so much. I hadn't seen that particular build along before and enjoyed it just like other great ones; thanks for helping me understand, as I went to a hardwood store and re-upped on a couple nice boards... I've made a firstie red oak that I simply got lucky with with lack of twist, a second hickory I botched badly overcompensating some propeller with my first heat gun & caul doin's and wound up tisting it in two opposing directions (I'll keep and hopefully correct later), and I am also postponing a sweet red/white mulberry hybrid heart split stave until I know I'll do it proper justice (a sentimental piece as it came from my own beloved old tree). But I'll continue to learn on some new boards of hickory, ash, and hard maple. Thanks again one and all.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©