Author Topic: Finishing Bamboo/IPE with danish oil?  (Read 302 times)

Offline Knobbir

• Trad Bowhunter
Finishing Bamboo/IPE with danish oil?
« on: June 17, 2012, 12:32:00 PM »
I searched both this forum and google, and didn't get the info I need.
I'm doing the final tiller of a Kit bow that is Bamboo/IPE.  I'm not crazy about the color of the bamboo or the IPE. I want a satin finish that highlights the wood, but won't reflect in a hunting situation.  
Ive used danish oil on some other projects, and I really like the finished feel of the wood- it seems harder and more durable, but still looks like the wood. It also seems to bring out the grain. But once it is on, there is no turning back- you can't sand it out, and other finished just don't seem to work well after/over danish oil. The IPE seems dry, and I live in a hot dry and dusty climate.  What ever finish I use will have to be applied and set in 85-100 degree heat. It doesn't get much cooler until fall around here, even at night
It seems to me that other spray on finishes are more of a "coating". So I'm leaning away from Deft, which has been recommended here for IPE.  I also would like to darken the woods, and Danish oil comes in other colors. I don't know how well it will darken the bamboo, or what it will do to the grain on the bamboo.
But I'm not set on Danish oil, and would rather have a rally nice, durable finish that enhances a novice's hunting bow and will last many seasons.
Am I being stubborn and just need to go get some Deft or maybe something else?

Offline Sam Harper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finishing Bamboo/IPE with danish oil?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 11:51:00 PM »
You could put a couple of layers of Deft to seal it (ipe is an oily wood), then put spare urethane or polyurethane over that.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »
I personaly wouldnt use it on a bow arrows yes use acetone to wipe down the epi then ise true oil or deft cover bambo with snake skins or some thing

Offline blue_beast_66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 05:49:00 AM »
I dont like putting acetone on wood as it draws out the natural oils and makes finishing a pain. I have never used Ipe but since it is an oily wood seems pulling more to the surface might not be the best plan but I don't know.

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 04:29:00 PM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©