3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wich longbow to buy?  (Read 803 times)

Offline themarmot

• Trad Bowhunter
wich longbow to buy?
« on: February 24, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
yesterday i shot a morrison dakota longbow , it was awesome it was the first time i shot a long bow .i tried several differant long bows but liked that one the best. so i have been bitten by the longbow bug.after reserching the price of that bow $850 and up. i cant spend that kind of money,can anyone suggested a good longbow (with no handshock) that could be bought for $300 new or used.thanks   :campfire:

Offline nordic

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wich longbow to buy?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 09:24:00 PM »
I bought a Martin Savannah this past summer for 300, used.  It is a great bow for the money. It's smooth, fast, and has no hand shock.

Good Luck
Nordic

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 11:44:00 PM »
Check out the sale forum here and look at 3rivers, kustomking, and other suppliers on our sponsor links. Should find something near that range. Good luck.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »
I'd vote for a used Martin Savannah.  I have one that shoots well (although it doesn't have the "soul" my old Bear bows do!!!)

If you can, find one and shoot it.  Everyone I've let shoot mine likes it.

Ron

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 12:28:00 AM »
Might as well just save for what you really want.You will wind up buying one anyway sometime later.Don't you have any bad habits like smoking,dipping,eating, you can quit to put money back.

Start a bow fund and just $10 a week you can order one this time next year.Then 6-8 more months wait at $10 week you have your dream bow.

You need to shoot every bow you can find between now and then anyway to make sure that is what you want.

Don't laugh,I'm serious.I gave up lunch at work years ago for $30 a week for my play fund.

You need a bow now though right, well the Savannah is nice or a used Turkey Creek.Just make sure you get a good used price so when you sell it you will be able to get all your money back to put on your dream bow.

Good luck
Randy

Offline chris K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 03:05:00 AM »
Dan Toelke, all the bells and whistles and you do not pay an arm and a leg to get what you want.
Chris Kiefner

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 04:13:00 AM »
I agree with some of the latter comments.  I started off with a Martin Savannah and thought it was good.  However after a few nice customs (some not costing any more than the Martin), I realised how ordinary it is.

Just my opinion - but there are some great bows out there that are not too expensive.  The Whip is awesome - so is the Turkey Creek.  Mine was cheaper than what I paid in Australia for the Martin - and believe me - twice the bow!

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline Longbow Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 05:02:00 AM »
I have a Savannah and it is a nice shooting bow, but I do like my Chek-Mate Crusader a little better. Got the whole bow decked out for 500.00 and some change. You can do a search on the net for dealers.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 05:18:00 AM »
You can buy a lot of really nice used bows in that range if you are patient and scour the classifieds.  I have bought many this way.  I'm currently shooting a Savannah after buying and selling many "customs".  You can't go wrong with a Savannah!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 05:37:00 AM »
I agree with some of the latter comments.  I started off with a Martin Savannah and thought it was good.  However after a few nice customs (some not costing any more than the Martin), I realised how ordinary it is.

Just my opinion - but there are some great bows out there that are not too expensive.  The Whip is awesome - so is the Turkey Creek.  Mine was cheaper than what I paid in Australia for the Martin - and believe me - twice the bow!

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 07:58:00 AM »
I would say "The Whip" by Dan, it's a great shooting both, and like someone said all the bells and whistles, but at about $200 cheaper.($675.00)with S/H. and in about 7-8 weeks.  Give Dan a call.

P.S. don't bother looking for one used, guys just don't let him go, it seems they hang onto them forever.

Pastor Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline davesonic444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 08:12:00 AM »
You can't go wrong with the Savannah.Dave

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 08:29:00 AM »
I shot a snowshoe longbow for a longtime. I really enjoy shooting it and it should be around your price range. Like someone said above, You can buy used ones and pretty much get your money back selling it, even if it costs you 50 bucks over a year you should be able to try a number of different bows this way.
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 08:34:00 AM »
I'll second the Chek-Mate.  Darn good bows!  Tough to find them used, as we don't part with them easily.

Doug's Turkey Creek bows seem to have some good words being said.

Lots of other good ones, and at reasonable prices.

Either way, set up the "buy a bow plan".  You will get there quickly.

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 08:52:00 AM »
My 2 cents Turkeycreek or Jim Beltcher archery  , both are pattern after Jeff Massie bows   ....another Longbow...or  fav 2 Blackwidow or Liberty....I sold the savannha made by Martin when I worked in a bow shop , there strings are crap , cant stand them ...  :thumbsup:    :goldtooth:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline DBerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »
I sent you a PM Themarmot.

Regards,
  Dave
David

~Kanati Klassic~ 50@26"

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »
I too am looking for a longbow in the same price range.  I must say that in the $300 range the pickin's are MIGHTY SLIM.  I wish a few of the bowyers would make a simple, functional longbow in that price range.  It doesn't have to have fancy waves, inlays, exotic woods or other such niceties.  Why can't that be done?  I see lots of posts from people that want a longbow but cannot afford to spend $600 for a bow.  It seems that there would be a market for such a bow.

I have a WARF recurve that I like a lot.  The main reason I have it instead of another recurve is COST.  When I am talking to my compound friends and the subject comes up about them giving TRAD a try the next question that comes up is "How much would it cost to get into a recurve/longbow?"  And when I tell them what its gonna cost they bail out immediately.  No matter what I say from that point on, to them the price is something they can't get around.

One option I am looking at is a longbow being built by a guy on another forum.  They are $300 and they look pretty good.  I don't know the rules about posting such things, but if you want to know more you can PM me and I'll tell ya.  I don't have anything to do with him, I am just looking for a longbow in that price range like the thread starter.

Nala

Offline DBerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 12:25:00 PM »
Hi Nala,
 Prolly talking about Bill, from Arizona?
That's who I PM'd Themarmot about as I've heard nothing but good things about the bows he produces.
Can't give a review though as mine is still in the process of being built by him.
Definitely a good route to go if you're looking for a good bow (so I've heard) without a high price tag.

Cheers,
 Dave
David

~Kanati Klassic~ 50@26"

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »
I'll also recommend Belcher Bows as a place to look. Jim Belcher is a master craftsman. He purchased the "Longhorn" line from Jeff Massie and is making some beautiful and affordable Belcher "Longhorns". I just saw one of his 60", one piece "Longhorns" and must say I was very impressed.   :thumbsup:

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 12:58:00 PM »
I can't agree with you say costs are prohibitive.  Although it is a recurve, I got a Bear Black Panther out of someone's closet for under $50.00.  Other friends and fellow TG's have found bows fore a little as $5.00.  Yes, a Morrisson is going to cost you as will many of the "big names".....but that is your decision to own one.  You can't get a Ferrari on a Pinto budget, though some will like what the Pinto can do for them.  There is a lot to choose from both new and used out there.

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©