Author Topic: need short bow suggestions  (Read 365 times)

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
need short bow suggestions
« on: June 29, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
I am planning on hunting some from ground positions and from blinds this fall and was wanting to build myself a really short bow.  By really short I would say 50-54 tip to tip (or shorter if I could get by with it).  I really don't want to build a form for a glass bow and I have some very good straight osage and several bundles of good deer sinew.  

I need suggestions for design.  Can I get 27" of draw from a sinew backed osage selfbow that is only 50-54"?  Got any ideas or pics?

Offline longbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: need short bow suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
Yes sir, should not be a problem.

"Boswell" on here has a 52" or 54" unbacked osage bow that he draws 27". It is a bendy handle bow that I think is only about 7/8" wide at the most.

I would make it about 1" wide in the handle with a very slow taper until about 8-10" from tips and make them about 3/8".

With all that said... I would wait and see what others have to suggest.

David

What part of Arkansas are you from? I'm around Dardanelle.

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »
David,

I'm over in the flat part of Arkansas, in Paragould.  I work in Little Rock / Conway area some.  Would be good to get together sometime.

David

Offline Boswell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
Longbowhntr is right. I have 2 52 inch Osage Selfbows that are NOT backed. One is closer to 3/4 wide at handle and one is 7/8 at the handle. They are both bend through the handle, with floppy rest. One draws 52 at 27 and the other draws 54 at 27. I have hunted with one for 2 years and harvested something with it each year.

I have a third in the works right now that I am hoping to get finished after the bow trade is over. It is 53in Tip to tip and 3/4 wide at centerline.

Longbowhntr, just finished a 51 in? sinew backed that drew 28 inches.

Of all of our (longbowhntr and my) short bows the most set that one has taken is about 1/2 inch.

Yes it can be done. As you can tell we like tiny bows. They work well!

Thanks
Boswell

Offline longbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
It would be good if some of us that hack out bows could get together someplace sometime.

Offline longbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
Hey Bobby,
I was hoping you chime in. I couldn't remember the specs on those bows.

David

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »
You guys could make the trip to mojam in a few Weeks and get together with the ready of us.it is in marshal mo July 19 through the 21.lots of good bowyers there.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 01:04:00 AM »
I'm putting the finishing touches on a sinew backed 49" osage bow.  It draws 50# @ 24". I bet it could go a little farther, but I don't need it to.  It's a mean little thing.  

AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 08:02:00 AM »
Thanks guys for the info.  I have never tried built a hunting weight bow shorter than 60" and didn't know if a shorty would hold up to the strain.  I am going for it.

MOJAM has been on my list of things to do for several years.  Just can't seem to put the trip together.  I was all set to go to the TN Classic this year and forgot it was my parents 50th the same weekend.  First things first you know.

I have two glass bows just about ready to spray and one needing glue up.  When those are gone I'll try to do a shorty build along.  Try is the key word.

:help:

Offline Boswell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
DSV,
There is something about Missouri in mid-July...This year might be rough with the heat. Longbowhntr and myself have been to the classic for the last 2 years. Mostly go to Ojam, missed this last years.

Thanks
Boswell

Offline Black Mockingbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 01:08:00 PM »
Ive built several shorties,and this one is my best and favorite by far in all categories...you dont need sinew for what your wanting....this design rocks if you can pull it off...(its not easy).

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=30598.0

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©