Author Topic: increasing limb length  (Read 277 times)

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
increasing limb length
« on: July 01, 2012, 01:29:00 AM »
Just made a heavy bow for a friend,and it came in at 80# @ 28'' which despite my protestations was what he wanted. He now realises it is a bit too much bow. As I left the limb tips uncut and only have rough working nocks cut without any overlays etc, I have room to cut in another set an inch above. Seeing as how it is a 5 lam bow with all action 'boo lams and .0050 glass my question is how much weight could I hope to drop with the extra 2'' in length. My guess is around 8lbs?

Online jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: increasing limb length
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
It might work, but I'd be a little nervous about the bow breaking at the first set of nocks given the weight of the bow.

Another option you might try is sanding the edges of the limbs to decrease widith along the entire length of the bow or trapping the limbs.  Both methods will reduce weight.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »
Thanks john, I am aware that I can get a bit of weight off with trapping or sizing it down a little but thought that increasing limb length would just make it a little kinder to draw and smoother.The preliminary nocks are only shallow grooves barely able to contain the string while I strung for weight and tiller.My thought is that putting on the overlays would reinforce the area and I could fill the grooves with smooth on. Not ideal but I tried to warn him it was too heavy before I made it.

Offline johnny girardi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 03:56:00 PM »
I always think when you make a change in a bow like you want. You are making a diff bow completly. You can make a bow on the same form with diff size lams taper or something.Its a new diff bow. I say try this find out what it shoots like. are the limbs stable? diff brace height? shoot worse or better? you may discover a new fantastic bow. Good luck johnny g

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
I did make new nocks 1/2'' longer each end, lost about 4lb and with little sanding it is now 75# at 28'' and I can full draw it . So now its a case of seeing if he can. I filled the shallow nock grooves on the sides of the bow with a mix of smooth on and 'boo dust. The over lays strengthen the area at the back of the bow. Despite the high poundage I am comfortable with the outcome and he is happy about the changes. It was made purely as a hunting bow and he's not concerned about a snappy 'looker'.I will post couple shots once finish has been done.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©