Author Topic: I got U  (Read 269 times)

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
I got U
« on: July 06, 2012, 12:56:00 AM »
Yew that is. I was gifted 2 sweet Yew staves that have been seasoning for 10 years, now the big question is what is the best style bow to make with a Yew Stave? It will want to be 50# at 28" and shot at 27". I have never worked with Yew before, but have used Osage,Hop Hornbeam, Hickory, Maple, and Red Oak,  so this will be a learning experience.
 Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Black Mockingbird

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I got U
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 07:54:00 AM »
Yew will take many designs well....so pretty much whatever your heart desires...long round bellied english longbows,to short wide sinewed back paddle type bows,american longbow,flatbows,holmgaard,recurves,etc.....you get the point  ;)

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
One of my favorite bows is a yew built pretty much like Dean Torges prescribes in "Hunting the Osage Bow".  I made mine 1-1/2" wide and 64" long.  It's 50# at 27".  I don't have pics handy but can get some tonight maybe.

I prefer flatbows to English longbows but yew sure makes a pretty classic ELB.  You should build at least one in your life.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
I wasn't sure is it would be good in a flat bow, so now I know. Thanks. I realy am not fond of the ELB, so a flatbow it shal be.
Thanks
 Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Sam Harper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »
Yew is expensive (except when somebody gives it to you).  If I were lucky enough to get my hands on a good long piece of Yew, I'd make an English Longbow out of it.  After all, how many chances am I going to have to make a traditional English longbow out of Yew?

But to each his own.  :-)
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©