Author Topic: Selfbows and Broadheads  (Read 289 times)

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
Selfbows and Broadheads
« on: July 07, 2012, 08:17:00 AM »
It was recommended to me to shoot a "nice 2 blade broadhead" out of a selfbow awhile back.  I have some old Bear Greenies that weigh in around 115 grains (which I can sharpen very well).  But then I see the trails left by a 3 blade and I have some 125 grain WW (I can sharpen these good too).  I also some 4 blade Zwickey's that are begging to be mounted.

I know I need to pick whichever head matches the bow the best.  But I'm wondering if there is more to it than that.  Does a selfbow shoot a broadhead differently than a glass bow?

I have recently finished a 45# selfbow and want to hunt with it this fall (deer and turkey).  I'd like about 10 grains an inch finished arrow weight and am planning on making some cedars up for it.  What do you think?

-Jeremy   :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Selfbows and Broadheads
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 08:43:00 AM »
Many folks think that selfbows are inferrior to more modern style bows. As long as your broadhead is sharp and you are shooting well tuned arrows for your selfbow and yourself any good broadhead will work well. You will probably get better penetration with a 2 blade. The WW 3 blade should work fine also because of its 3:1 ratio. I use both 2 blade, some commercial and some trade points and WWs and feel confident they will do their job if I do mine. I also use stone points and feel confident with them too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
I have always shot 2 blades.  With a 45# bow, it would be my choice for deer.  Shoot both into your target and judge for yourself which is going to penetrate more.  It's tougher to get a good blood trail with any broadhead if it's not sticking out the other side.  For turkey, I doubt it will matter.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 12:15:00 PM »
Thanks for the input, John your comment about it not mattering with a turkey, what did you mean by that?  That a turkey is tough and either blade will or wont make the difference?  You've got my attention...

-Jeremy  :coffee:

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »
Just that a turkey is easier to penetrate and either will get the job done, all else being equal.  Most folks prefer for the arrow to stay in the bird so an argument could be made that less penetration is better so long as you get to the goodies.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »
10-4, thanks for the input.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
I shoot trade points of my own design. Shoot what you want and keep them sharp. Jawge

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »
Jeremy you need to make your own heads they worked fine for me (granted I hand some good luck). Remember I used an old spatula to make my heads last fall. I think it adds that much more mojo to your set up. I mean you pour blood, sweet, tears and soul into the bow why not the part that does the most important part.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
I think my wife would shoot me with my own bow if I cut up one of her spatulas.  I've gotta take baby steps Kelly.  First I need to make my own string, then we'll move to my own points.  Of course there is a Goodwill down the road.  Hmm...

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »
Thanks for link George!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©