Author Topic: Sad day in the hole-y land  (Read 230 times)

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
Sad day in the hole-y land
« on: July 10, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
Working on a takedown that I had perfect billets for tonight.  They came from the same tree my dad and I cut down for a shooting lane (he shot his first bow deer from that tree) and were sister billets but flipped 180 degrees.  I had chased a ring, cut them to profile and filled gaps, drilled out the hole, sealed up well and let them set.  Just looked at the first billet and there was a check on both sides of the hole.  The check on the left traveled 12" back to the handle.  I thought it might be superficial and only through one ring.  Not quite.  Went down 6 rings and made a potential 45-60 lbs bow a hopeful 25 lbs bow.  Now on to looking for a matching billet for the once again put on hold takedown.  Sad day in the hole-y land. Oh and by the way if you happen to have a billet that has a hole in it I would love it to show up on my doorstep    :readit:  

The first couple pictures are what it was going to hopefully look like.  The next three are the checks I found tonight.  

He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow, and concealed me in his quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Online DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sad day in the hole-y land
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 12:15:00 AM »
You gave up on that!? You should have left them in as they were and filed en with glue. Sorry to hear about it all the same.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 12:19:00 AM »
Goose I filled checks on the bow I made in Iraq with super glue and it worked great they never got bigger ever. Heck still not growing.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 05:07:00 AM »
IMO, If it doesn't go thru to the other side it should hold up.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Black Mockingbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 06:19:00 AM »
That aint nothing...it should be fine....its osage. I have a couple that have checks and cracks galore all thru both limbs,and a couple actually go thru a hole. And there fine. Just as long as nothin runs off the edge,and even if any do run off an edge you can wrap it at the run off and itll be aok(been there too).

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
I guess I didn't tell the whole story... I thought "hey I'll just go down a ring or two" well in my excitement (read stupidity) I just kept going.  6 rings later I realized my blunder.  

The old saying: Measure twice cut only when you measure again and have a friend okay it comes to mind.  I didn't know how far I had gone before it was too late.  So not extremely worried about the crack but the thickness 1/4"-1/8".
He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow, and concealed me in his quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©