Author Topic: Yellow Belly Python  (Read 717 times)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
Yellow Belly Python
« on: July 11, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
I just finished they Snaky Osage stave I've been working on. I bought this stave from a member on TG. He got it from someone else and it was roughed out some but the back was violated and the grain was running off a bit in two spots. This was a fly by the seat of my pants job and the top limb is narrower than the snaky bottom. I did this to correct the run off.  The shelf/strike plate I carved from a peice of Antelope horn and inlaid it into the riser. This shelf shows no wear after over 200 arrows. I decided to use Python skin because it is as thick as goat rawhide and provides some extra insurance. The Python skin came from Pine Hallow and I have enough left for at least two more bows. This bow shoots as good as any bow I have built to date and it kept almost all the reflex I heated in after well over 200 arrows. I really enjoyed building this stick and it is very cool to shoot.....   anyway here is the Yellow Belly Python....  Thanks for looking

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Yellow Belly Python
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »

shooter video

Offline arsurveyor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »
Wow.  Fantasitc looking bow.  

Be careful not to leave it un-strung on the ground....someone might get scared and hit it with a shovel.

Offline WestTexan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 06:17:00 PM »
Sweet bow...you did good.

Offline briarjumper12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 06:29:00 PM »
Good looking stick!
What tools and methods do you use for the inletting the rest/strike plate.  I been wanting to that too.
John
Blessed be the Lord my strength; which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »
Kip, that is a great looking bow! I am sure you will get years of enjoyment out of that bow. Thanks for sharing the pictures
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
I've got some of my Grand Fathers homemade carving tool. Tiny Chisels and Gouges that work very well... He died the year I was born so these tools are 70/80/90years old???

some of his carving and homemade tools

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 06:56:00 PM »
Sweet bow and carvings!  What kind of finish did you put over the skins?  It looks very smooth.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 07:03:00 PM »
Kip, i have to say , you definitely have advanced a lot farther than i have. nice work. rv
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
My dad will tell you that laying a skined bow in the brush around the house is a good way to get it broke.  :biglaugh:  

Troy
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Retirement ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Offline JSMOFFITT03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    First class !! Great job

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
Thank you...

Troy I made sure nobody else was around  :)

I used Tru-oil first then Spar simi gloss over it. The one disadvantage I found using a snake this big was the scale pockets or sockets had corners that would flip up a bit and cause something like spines. I had to put a coat of finish let dry and lightly sand in one direction so as not to lift the spines again and repeat. The end finish you see is so many coats and sandings that I lost count!!! The end result wprked out but there were times when I thought the spines would never lay down!!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
Excellent detail work Kip Winger! Your bows got real good real fast. It ain that hard afterall?!?!?!?!?

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
Got a loooooooong way to go but lots of good teachers, then there's that Drums, Hawkman speed thing... don't think these 60 year old bone can crank em out like that  :)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
Oh I guess it's ok):

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
Nice bow Kip, especially the skins, great pattern.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
Thanks Roy I can always count on you for worlds O wisdom  :)

I think I already said it but I got that skin from Pine Hallow....  that thing was huge!!!

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
Wow!Thats cool!Nice work!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©