Author Topic: glue  (Read 228 times)

Offline Buck Buckley

• Trad Bowhunter
glue
« on: July 13, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
I posted aquestion on versamid 140, put maybe I posted it wrong. I am not new at bow makeing that is BBO. I have made a lot of them  I would like to try my hand at makeing a RD FIBER GLASS BO And what is the best glue to use [SMOOTH ON OR VERSAMID 140 ] Thank you for the help

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: glue
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
Smooth-on all the way.
never used versamaid.

have fun
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
I used  a long time ago, it is thinner than EA-40, I think just about everyone prefers Smooth-on EA-40.

I had some trouble with epon-versamid and red elm, it soaked in too much and gave me an a spot with not nuff glue, haven't used it since.

Not sure if what I had(bout 1991) is the same as now....
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
I use smooth-on and versamid and they both do a fine job. Smooth-on will cure at lower temps and versamid requires an oven, it will not cure at room temperature. Like Kenny said, it is thinner and will soak into lams and leave dry spots, so use plenty. One advantage to versamid is the longer working time, even in the summer you dont have to hurry with the glue up. Another advantage is being able to spread it with a roller.
I think smooth-on is more versatile and that is what I use the most of, but either will work.
I didnt miss, thats right where I was aiming

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©