Author Topic: From Parells to tapers  (Read 239 times)

Offline JJACOBS

• Trad Bowhunter
From Parells to tapers
« on: July 23, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »
I have always just used parallel lams in my stack to reach my desired weight in my mild reflex deflex .  I am thinking changing my stack by putting a tapered lam in place of one of the parallels.  Will i need to overcompensate for the change in my stack height to reach my desired weight?  Also, will i notice any difference in the final product as far as hand shock, speed, stack, etc?

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: From Parells to tapers
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
If you measure your stack at the butt end, you will need a little more thickness if you replace a par with a taper.

Hard to say on the speed, shock, etc.  Seems every design is different.  I use .004 taper in my mild R/D.

Offline JJACOBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »
I usually measure my stack around  18 inches from the end.   Is it far to assume it will only impact it a little bit?

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 06:13:00 PM »
If you increase the taper by 0.002 on a mild d/r profile the draw weight will drop about 2-3 lbs.

On my bows with a mild d/r profile I usually use a total taper of 0.004.

----------
Andy

Offline JJACOBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 10:36:00 AM »
So would I need to add thickness at the butt end to get the taper lam at the correct thickness at my measure point of 18 inches?  What ever it would come out to be?  

Say at 18 inches from the tip, my bow stack needs to measure .250 does it still need to measure that same measurement when adding a taper, will that get it close to my desired weight?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©