Author Topic: First time tillering check  (Read 272 times)

Offline JackSprat

• Trad Bowhunter
First time tillering check
« on: July 26, 2012, 12:44:00 AM »
Just wanted to get some opinions on how this stick in the early stages of tillering looks to others. To me, it looks pretty good but like both limbs are stiff in the middle and maybe in the tips as well. Tell me if I'm anywhere close, or should I stare at it and contemplate some more. It's possible I'm over-thinking this :-)

FYI, this is on a long string, and I've been using the famous tillering gizmo so far. Thanks for any help!

Offline Jomohr84

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First time tillering check
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 02:50:00 AM »
Lookin good!  The upper limb looks like it may not be moving as much at the fade as the lower limb, or it may just be my eyes. I have horizontal lines behind my tillering tree to measure for reference. Other than that, just keep on gizmoing and scraping the marks, and remember to never stress it past your target weight and when you see a flaw don't draw  further until the flaw is corrected. Should turn out real nice!
Jonathan Mohr

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
Tiller looks good. Looks like you glued in a handle so start your removal of wood at the end of the fades. In other words, it looks like the handle area is bending which means the handle will pop off. Jawge

Offline JackSprat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »
Thanks for the warning George. So, I should stay away from the fades for a while, and remove wood elsewhere until it's not bending so close to the handle?

Another question -  at what point should I try bracing with the correct string length? Right now I'm pulling down to 20" on my tillering tree with the long string. Should I switch to the short one when I can pull to my draw length (29") with the long string?

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 01:13:00 PM »
you need to get it on a short string ASAP the long string will lie every time.

The string length totally changes the angle of leverage that the limbs are being pulled.

You need to get a shorter string on as soon as you can get it to about 3" braced. just keep shortening your string as you tiller until you get to your desired brace height.

Looking good so far
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »