Author Topic: Leather handle wrap gluing question  (Read 495 times)

Offline dinorocks

• Trad Bowhunter
Leather handle wrap gluing question
« on: July 26, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »
Thanks for opening/reading this post!  I always struggle trying to glue leather to leather for my handle wrap.  Sometimes I like to fold the leather over along the top and bottom of my handle wrap (see pict below).  What method do you find works best for creasing and gluing (i.e. glue type) the leather?

Thanks!
Dino  

"Speedy arrow, sharp and narrow."  GD

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Leather handle wrap gluing question
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 10:41:00 AM »
I think just about everyone uses this.  Great stuff.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=4188

Hope this helped!

Tenbrook

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 10:47:00 AM »
I have never glued mine Dino and they have all stayed put. I think leather shrinks some and stays put, or maybe Im just lucky after 70-80 bows? Hard to say.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »
I use tanned deer hide, it stretches real nice. I use tight bond glue for plastic trim. It holds well but also lets you work with the leather for a while. I stitch the wrap on the back of the bow with artificial sinew. Never had a problem with grips coming loose.

Offline dinorocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »
Sounds good, thanks for the fast replies!  I didn't want to glue the leather to the handle but the leather to the leather when I folded it over so it would be easier to work with.

I will post a finished pict of the bow when I finish...my first attempt using carp skins!

Thanks again!

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »
I just use contact cement to create a 1/2" hem.  It helps to have a hem when using thinner glove leather on the stitch sides.  It allows a little more force to stretch the leather around the contours of the handle.  And it looks neater, especially on the top and bottom edges.  I also use contact cement to glue the handle leather to the bow.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dinorocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
Thanks John.  I never thought of hemming the section of the leather handle wrap where I would stitch the two sides together...good idea!

I wonder if the leather handle wrap would be too thick/bulky if I hemmed both the stitch area and the bottom/top of the leather handle wrap....

Thanks again!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »
I mispoke myself. I do not glue the leather to the bow, I do fold about 1/4" of leather over on top and bottom. It looks good and makes a "shelf" for me to shoot off.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »
I use deer leather... stretchy and strong. I skive about 1/4" of the top and bottom with a fillet knife so that the leather rolls/tapers to nothing on the top and bottom.

Where I stitch it together at the front, the ends are brought around and carefully trimmed so that they butt together in a straight line, then I stitch them with artificial sinew.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
That skive idea is a good one, never thought of that. Thanks!

Offline J.F. Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 03:55:00 PM »
bowjunkie, thats exactly how I do mine, too. could it be that we got our inspiration from a common source, lol. I'd just plain be ashamed of myself if somebody could see the edges on my leather handle wrap.  that is very nice work, Jeff. baseball stitch is a pain in the rear, but it sure looks nice when it's done well. I glue my leather to the handle with contact cement. is much easier to stitch once you have it stretched and formed around the handle and leather shelf and it is stuck in place right where you want it. is no trouble to remove it if you ever needed to. contact cement ain't super glue, but handle won't ever budge even if it gets drenched every day for a week.

is that sturgeon skin on the back of that bow?
"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline dinorocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »
Bojunkie...Awesome bow backing!  I have a pict of your bow hanging on my wall!

"I skive about 1/4" of the top and bottom with a fillet knife so that the leather rolls/tapers to nothing on the top and bottom."  Not sure I understand...do you thin the inside of the leather along the top and bottom edge and fold it over?  And where you lace, are you meeting cut leather to cut leather, or folded leather to folded leather?

Thanks!!

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
I often "hem" all the sides.  At the corners, cut a 45 degree angle so it isn't an extra layer thick.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
I use barge cement but not to much.  I also usually make a mock grip with some other leather  or test fit the grip cut big and trim to fit.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
Bowjunkie, that is a great looking handle wrap! I'd like more pics or details too on this hem and skive process that you guys are talking about. Where do you cut your 45's at John? I'm spatially challenged(ask Pearl Drums) so need lots of pics, videos, and drawings if possible. Can't wait to see what you come up with Dino!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©