3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: GT's cracking at nock  (Read 684 times)

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
GT's cracking at nock
« on: February 25, 2008, 02:36:00 PM »
I have been shooting GT 55/75 Hunter XT arrows out of my Roberston recurve since last spring. Last night I noticed that two of the arrows had developed cracks on the nock end. None of the arrows had ever been hit by another arrow to crack them. I have used Easton nocks that fit in the unibushing system since I made these arrows up. Has anyone had any similar experience with these arrows cracking?? This is my first batch of carbons and they are great but I don't know what to think of the cracks. Is this common with all carbon arrows, a freak thing or a common problem with Gold Tips? I have pulled those two arrows from use and will not shoot them. I recently got six CE arrows for another bow and they have a collar around the nock end I presume to keep this from happening?? I guess what I am asking is if this is a common problem with all carbons then I will throw the cracked ones away and keep shooting GT's, if it is just a GT problem then mabey I need to look at some different arrows.
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: GT's cracking at nock
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 02:42:00 PM »
I have shot Goldtips, Bemans, Eastons, and several others and have not had that problem.

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »
Personally, I have not had a problem with any Gold Tip's. They work best for me and my set-ups. You might contact John Sullins at Sipsey River Traditional Archery. I'm sure John can give you an answer. He is a dealer for Gold Tip's and a super good guy to deal with.

best afield

Offline yamapup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 02:48:00 PM »
This is interesting. Some people have posted splitting GTs at the point end.-Pup

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 02:54:00 PM »
I just find it strange too. I noticed, after closer inspection, that the Easton nocks had four raised spots on the nock to hold it inplace and wondered if that might have put a little too much pressure on the inside of the shaft a caused a crack over time. I changed all the nocks out last night for the GT nocks that came with the arrows. The GT nocks inserted farther in the shaft and did not have as pronounced a raised area as the Eastons. Bad part is if I had not crown painted my arrows I might not have noticed the cracks and probably would not have seen them if I had used wraps. Other that this problem they have been VERY durable and shoot better than I do.
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline yamapup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 02:55:00 PM »
Whoa! Could there be a problem using Easton components in Gold Tips?

Offline joeare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 03:19:00 PM »
I have had the same problem multiple times when I used Easton and Björn nocks with GT Traditionals. With the long Gold Tip nocks (not the one with the set screw but the extra long ones) I have never had a crack so far. You can also try to use the Easton 3D Super Nock and glue it in with epoxy. Problem is when the nock breaks you won't get it out again.

Online Bowsey Wails

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Timmy P
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 03:24:00 PM »
There was a thread a few days ago, where Bohning Classic nocks on POC's were breaking. I wonder if there is a defect in the plastic, as opposed to the nock?

Tim
"I use no device to direct my arrow towards its mark, save my eyes and my will." Anthony Camera, aka Viper.
I'm not old school, I'm one room school house.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 03:24:00 PM »
I have had cracks on the nock end after a hard hit.  For instance, stumping and you hit a rock square on, the tip survives fine but the nock end splits.  Haven't had them split for no reason.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »
The GT nocks I put in last night were the standard ones that come with the bare shafts, not the ones with a set screw. I have just never heard of this and I am definately not looking for a reason to change unless I have to. I bet it had something to do with the Easton nocks. Those CE shafts are nice but cost twice as much.

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 03:48:00 PM »
sounds like a possible nock issue for sure. I'll make sure I use the longer nocks from now on (actually, I think I already do).

good post WestTnMan!   thanks    :thumbsup:

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »
We see the nock ends split when the arrow hits something hard. I have seen either end split and I think it is how the arrows hits the hard object that causes the shaft to split at the point or nock end.
You have 2 choices, throw the arrow away of use 24 hour epoxy and glue the nock and shaft together. I would add a collar cut from an alum. shaft 3/4-1in. long over it also. This way the shaft still has some life left in it.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 06:01:00 PM »
I've seen about 3 or 4 dozen gts shafts that had cracks at the nock and or point end.  They  had all come from the factory like that and are very hard to detect unless you know what your looking for.  I have never seen one develope a crack at the nock end from shooting (not that it ain't possible, just never experienced it).  I called GT and they replaced every one of them without a problem and they were well aware of the issue.  I inspect every one of them very well before shooting to make sure there are no cracks in them before I assemble them.
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 06:15:00 PM »
I also use the Gold Tips with the long nocks and have not had a problem.

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 06:25:00 PM »
I have had them crack at the nock after hitting something hard. I had one fail at the insert on a deer. No problems before or since.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Charlie Cole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 10:29:00 PM »
I did have a CE 150 get cracked at the nock end, but it took a MASSIVE wallop at the fletching while ricocheting sideways through a grove of small holly trees. I can't imagine any arrow surviving that kind of beating, even my heavy birch shafts.

But I am thinking about putting those nock collars on my stumping arrows just in case. Can't hurt, right?

-Charlie

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »
I personally wouldn't discontinue those arrows with split ends. If anything i would put a dab of super glue in the split and truck on. I have shot goldtips with substantial splits in the nock end (we're talking daylight can be seen in it), with no ill effects. Not saying you won't have one blow up on ya. But i never have, and personally have no fear of it.

Offline DraglineMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 11:00:00 PM »
This happened to me with the gold tips too. If you hit something solid it seems like they will crack.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 11:14:00 PM »
I've heard of people using a short piece of aluminum arrow on the nock end like the way footed carbons are done. Also Carbon Express makes some aluminum nock reinforcers.

But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »
the one and only dry fire i have ever had, came from a gold tip nock that cracked upon release.
scared the crap out of me, i thought i'd broken my bow! stick with another brand of nock, i think the plastic is a little better.imo.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©