Author Topic: First Hickory Self Bow (Finished pics)  (Read 653 times)

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
First Hickory Self Bow (Finished pics)
« on: July 28, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
Finally got some time to work on a hickory staff I had been drying for my son a bow. Specs on the staff and layout: 60"ttt, 58"ntn, 4" handle, 1.75"fades, Limbs 1.5" to mid-limb then straight taper to .5" tips. Was shooting for 40# @ 26" so the bow would grow with him abit, if I was successful. Took everything really slow. Got the limbs bending on the floor, then heat tempered the belly. Ended up with about 3" of reflex. Pretty much have hit my weight limit 40-42# @ 25",so I guess tillering is about as good as it is going to get on this one. I know I will lose some weight after final sanding and cleanup. Exercised the limbs really good and shot the bow about 25-30 times, so far. Still holding about .5" of reflex. Was considering another heat tempering session to add some more reflex. Tiller ain't great, seems a little stiff in the right fade area to me, but I'm not to dissatisified, as this is my first attempt. Here's a few pics. Tell me what you think.

God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Jomohr84

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Hickory Self Bow (Finished pics)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »
Pretty darn good tiller for first attempt. I think the tiller is a little stiff a few inches out of the fades, but all in all better than my first tiller! Good job!
Jonathan Mohr

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
Thanks, Jonathan. My eye knows that something is too stiff around the fades. I guess I was kind of scared to get too aggresive around the fades thinking I would cause a hinge. Oh well, live and learn. I think my 11 yr old will get some shooting out of it. First time I've used any hand tools in yrs. Very zenlike and relaxing.

Offline briarjumper12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
Pretty good tiller. I agree that it is a little stiff outta the fades. My first few where stiff outta the fades too. I was afraid to get a hinge in there also.  I know start at the fades and get it bending there first the way I want it. Then move on out. Don't know if that is the proper way to do it but at least it works for me to get the fades moving properly.
Blessed be the Lord my strength; which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
Thanks, John for the advise. I might work a little more on the fades. Will try to get them working more a little earlier in the process on the next one.

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 09:10:00 AM »
That is a good looking tiller. For a parallel limbed bow like that one the tiller is supposed to be a little stiff outta the fades. If it were a pyramid style bow then yes I would say the fades are too stiff. If you try to get a parallel limbed bow bending too close to the fades it will take a lot more set than normal.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
Thanks Jamie. I re-tempered the belly last night. I think I will just leave it as is and shoot it in and finish it up. How much sanding can the back take?

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
I almost always sand the back with 150 and then 220. Just try not to go through the outer ring but even if you do with hickory it can handle it.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »
Cool. Thanks.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 11:02:00 AM »
Nice looking bow. Get her dressed up.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
Thanks Kelly. Just finished sanding it 60grit up to 320grit. Burnished the belly. Gonna try to glue up and skiv a small leather arrow rest. Need to play with some stain, too.

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »

Offline menatkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »
:clapper:  Very impressive for your first!  Are you sure you haven't been doing this a while?
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
72" HH Wesley Special
70" HH Robin Hood
66" Bear Tigercat
68" Les Howis Portland
Grozer Mongol

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
Thanks Michael. I've got a little more finish work to do and I will post some finished pics.

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »
looking forward to finished pics
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
Well I think I'm finished with this one. 5 coats of tru oil and she is shiny! My kid is having to shoot my carbons till I can figure out what spine it likes for wood. Seems like sacrilage to shoot carbons out of a selfbow! Had a great time on the first one. Learned alot and I'm sure there will be more to come.

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 11:53:00 PM »
Very cool - Tyler looks like like he is going to enjoy it!
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline burnt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
Nice stick. congradulations on your new addiction. I've always enjoyed making boys for my son the most.
"TGMM Family Of The Bow"

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
Very nice looking bow.
I just picked up a real nice Hickory Stave at ETAR and am planning my first Hickory bows. Another thing I learnt there is that spine doesn't matter much for a kids bow. They don't have the weight to compress the arrow to induce paralax so it doesn't matter. Try to work out how far he is pulling it and to what poundage, you can then determine if arrow spine is vital. Just cut down and reuse all those broken woodies you have sitting in the coffee can on your work bench; we all have one of those coffee cans, don't we?    :knothead:
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
Thanks Tony. I haven't shot woodies in yrs, so I mine are long gone. Gonna order some test shafts, as I'm going to be shooting some woodies in the future, as well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©