Author Topic: Dry Fire  (Read 377 times)

Offline 2shots

• Trad Bowhunter
Dry Fire
« on: July 31, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
Recently had a carbon arrow blow apart. Bow basically dry fired .no injury thank god. My question is is the bow safe to use. no visible cracks or splits anywhere. I figured bowyers would be best to answer this question ,Thanks.

Offline Jomohr84

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dry Fire
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »
I recently had a nock on my arrow split, which was basically like dry firing the bow, the arrow didn't go anywhere, the plastic nock just split when I released the string. I looked the bow over, found no damage, and kept shooting, and the bow is still fine, after over 1000 more shots. It was a red oak selfbow with a fast flight string as well. So if you don't see any damage, i'd say you're fine, just keep checking every few shots until you've shot a few dozen arrows, and if you find nothing, you're golden.
Jonathan Mohr

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 11:29:00 PM »
I have had my 55# bow break several knocks and have  complete dry fires at my 29" draw with no problems to the bow... Bows are tougher than you would think... Unless you have training wheels on that bow then I hear they sometimes explode
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline Jomohr84

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 12:30:00 AM »
Lol yeah my buddy just got a new bowtech with all tha fixins...paid $2100.00 total to get set up including arrows.

First time I ever shot with him, shooting indoor 3D, and he pulls back without an arrow. Wasn't sure what he was doin, next thing I know he accidentally dry fires and the bow "explodes"!

HaHa it was spectacular, and no one was hurt, just his pride. Luckily all it cost him was a new string, the limbs and cams were ok. From what I hear though he's lucky, because most wheelie dry fires result in bent cams or cracked limbs. That woulda really hurt because most of the cost he still owes on his credit card.

I'm happy with my $8.00 red oak board, at least if I break it, I gained experience from making it, and the next one will be that much sweeter.
Jonathan Mohr

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 01:36:00 AM »
The bow will probably be ok, but when you start shooting it again with properly spined arrows just listen for any "twang" creaks or pops while drawing and shooting. I'm just guessing that the carbon arrow broke because of weak spine, but don't know that for sure, more info on your set up could reveal the exact cause. May have had a bad spot in the fibers and it just tore loose?

My older brother had a nock break on an all wood early model wheel bow at the local pro shop and it cracked his riser. The bow was toast at that point. A longbow or recurve can usually withstand a violation like that, but a selfbow may not.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline 2shots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 09:16:00 AM »
Thanks for all your responses. Im going back to alum. The bow was a 52# Hybrid with shot with ICS bowhunters with 180 up front total weight Around 400Gr.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 11:46:00 AM »
The arrows arent to blame. Carbon is insane strong. You just need to check them over like any other material.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
More weight up front weakens the arrow spine. I use Stu's calculator to get real close when matching up a particular shaft to a bow. All bows are different in regards to what spine they require. Everything from how deep the arrow shelf is cut to center, to the length of fletch, to string material, and point weight will effect dynamic spine.

Here's a link to Stu's calculator, it will give you a better understanding of what I'm talking about.
 http://heilakka.com/stumiller/
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline 2shots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
Thanks semo for the info . I feel confident in the arrow spine being bang on . they group bare shaft perfectly And blow a bullet hole through paper  fletched And unfletched @ multiple distances. Again thanks for the link it will be useful. Bow seems to be ok I have shot it 50 to 100 times since.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©