Author Topic: EPOXY SEALANT  (Read 245 times)

Offline Buck Buckley

• Trad Bowhunter
EPOXY SEALANT
« on: August 13, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »
i HAVE HEARD SO MUCH ABOUT EPOXY SEALANT.  WHAT IS A GOOD BRAND.  DO YYYYOU BUT THAT ON THE BARE WOOD FRIST, OR AFTER YOU FINISH IT. NEED A LITTLE ADVICE BUCK

Offline milehi101

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: EPOXY SEALANT
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
I like West Systems Epoxy for a durable finish and I put it on the bare wood and sand it until I get a smooth finish.  Then it needs a good coat of U V Protection such as a spray can of good varnish.  With out the U V Protection the suns rays will hurt the epoxy in a short time

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
Buck,

The epoxy sealent I use is normally refurred to as the Massie Finish.

Mix a two part epoxy (the type you see in the two barrel syringe) with acetone. One part epoxy to 4 to 5 parts acetone. No need to mix epoxy together before adding acetone. It will all blend together as you mix.

Apply with clean rag. One swipe and move on. Don't try to swipe the area several times. The acetone will desolve and leave the epoxy making it hard to rub out smooth. Cover all the wood areas and let dry 12 to 24 hours. Then apply another coat. After that coat is dry, sand with 220 or finer sand paper to smooth. If all the pores of the wood aren't filled keep applying and sanding every two coats until full.

Once the pores are full you can then spray with Fullerplast or Thunderbird for a super smooth finish.

Troy
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Retirement ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
I like the same as Troy, good to,seal,arrows too.
I,also ise it if I have a jute string wrap on my longbows. Several coats,will make the jute water proof.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©