Author Topic: Summer builds......"gifted" wood  (Read 344 times)

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
Summer builds......"gifted" wood
« on: August 16, 2012, 12:06:00 AM »
Last fall I recieved a couple osage staves from a friend I've never met from N. Mexico.   He says he got them from another buddy in Oklahoma...good connections for friends.    I never asked for these, they just "showed up" in the mail during hunting season.  This friend and I occasionally keep in contact via email, and he has been at this bowhunting thing for some time...anyway, he figured I could "make something" of these...and so here is the results.  

The first stave to arrive has a story of sorts.   Said to have come from the same area that Jay Massey grew up, it spent (the story I heard) several decades as a fencepost, and then was stored for another couple decades.  It was well cared for before storage, and carefully reduced cleanly, so as to prevent side checks and cracks along it's length.   It is the darkest osage stave I've ever seen, having all those years to gracefully age.  

The next stave was similarly cared for, though not as old, but well seasoned just the same.  Both staves were some of the tightest growth rings I've ever chased, and took me some time to reach a pristine back.  The "younger" stave, after splitting from it's sister....needed some propeller corrections, and both got the tips "flipped" a bit.   Since both were so tight ringed, I opted to back with rawhide.   Both bows came out about 66 inches, nock to nock, and around mid-sixties for draw weight.    The "younger" stave was made into a bow for my friend Tim Roberts....and I decided to keep and use the Oldy-goldy for myself this season.   Anyway...here is a pic essay of sorts.   Enjoy..and good luck everyone with their seasons!

Note the contrast in the wood of the  "old" stave after I removed some...also, the fence staple holes.

My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Summer builds......"gifted" wood
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 12:11:00 AM »
Here's the "younger" stave, after chasing a ring, then dividing into two staves.   Also a cross section of the tight rings.  

A couple pics of my dry heat and twist method of removing propeller and adding some reflex into the tips....kind of a "figure as you go, style".

My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 12:15:00 AM »
And now, jumping ahead, a few pics of Tim with his bow....it turned out to be a real shooter, with beautiful tiller.  He was happy....

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 12:24:00 AM »
Finally a couple of the "oldy goldy"....I should have named it that!   Anyways...you can see how the oxidized wood bled deep into the center of the stave.   It has a bit more character, but shoots like a dream.  I am surprised how well it took to the dry heat treat on the tips, and very little string follow.    A real nice shooter, and it should bring home a bit of venison for me this year.  

Offline Cuban Missile

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
Wow nice job on that roller coster!
Javier

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
Beautiful work there !
U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
great job

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »
Nice work Mark. Osage is the tops but well aged osage is even better! d;^)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  Cool...I like the wavy ones...lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »
That's some good stuff Mark/Tim.  Real beauties the both of-them.     :thumbsup:

What did you guys do with the Rawhide...stain???
Looks great!!

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 11:47:00 PM »
Hey Randy...and thanks all!   Yes, the rawhide is stained.  I used some minwax water based stain I got from Lowes, I think.   You can get a number of colors, and is a great choice for rawhide...bambooo....hickory...anything that is usually tough to stain with oil based.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 01:07:00 AM »
Very nice bows Mark...  I like the finish work great Job !!
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 01:20:00 AM »
Very nice!

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »
That shop looks familiar...  
You are certainly a craftsman, Mark. I hope you can christen that piece of osage on a Montana antelope. Good luck!

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
Great job on those bows Mark. I will be looking forward to seeing those bows show up in a bunch of hero pics. Good luck hunting to you and Tim.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©