Author Topic: Questions for "yew" all.....  (Read 312 times)

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
Questions for "yew" all.....
« on: August 16, 2012, 12:43:00 AM »
Okay...I picked up a yew stave a couple weeks back.  Not too bad of a stave, fairly straight and only a couple pin nots.   The sapwood was fairly thick on it, and it had already been reduced dimensionally so that to retain as much heartwood as possible, I had to take off quite a bit of sapwood, leaving about a quarter inch or less thickness.  Problem I have is that I was not able to maintain a growth ring on the sapwood, so, for a narrow, deep limbed longbow design, I feel the need to back the sapwood.  

First question is, will a paper backing be sufficient, or will I need something more substantial?   I've only done a couple yew bows, and backed both with rawhide inthe past.....any thoughts?   I'm going for a mid-sixties weight, and have pretty good length, 68 inches or so, thus far.

Next question...I'd like to induce a bit of reflex...will yew take dry heat, or will steam be a better option?
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Questions for "yew" all.....
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 06:10:00 AM »
Well That sounds like a nice piece of wood Mark.

I would stick with raw hide as you have used it before, and it will do the job without question.

With a 60#+ draw weight I would not chance it to anything but rawhide.

Dry heat should work fine,I always use a little oil to sink the heat into the wood. About 1"-1.5" of reflexed set is nice imho.
Good luck,
CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 06:17:00 AM »
Mark in my experience dry heat works but you lose a lot of the reflex right off the form. I like to use steam for yew. If it's not much reflex your looking for dry heat will be fine but for much more than a few inches steam is the way to go. That yew can get real brittle with dry heat.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Black Mockingbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »
Violated sapwood is aok with yew as long as you followed the natural contours of how the back looked originally. But if you intend to hunt with it then slap some rawhide on it for protection against dinging it while in the bush.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »
Thanks guys....I was thinking of using the heat gun, with a good saturation of veg oil....but may consider steam.  

I would like to hunt/shoot this some, so perhaps the rawhide - old reliable - is best....I just have never used a paper back, and was wondering "how good" it works.   With heavier weight bows, as we all know, little things become bigger issues and concerns.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
Paper bags are for groceries Mark! Yew deserves better. Stick with rawhide.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »
I like olive oil Mark but crico has served me well more than once.

Missed you last weekend PD.

CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »
Yew will tolerate ring violations if not to major in one spot. Like Mokingbird said follow the back as best as possible.  Another option instead of rawhide is fish skin backings. Strugeon, lingcod, halibut and several others are very tough. Or even python skin is very toughand beautiful!
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 11:07:00 PM »
I've seen the python skins done firsthand, and would feel comfy using those.   I'm in no hurry on this one....but would like to get any "corrections" done so the wood will have time to settle back in.    I've got it floor tillered already.   Like said, I've done a couple yew bows, but this is perhaps the best stave I've had to work on thus far.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 05:19:00 AM »
There's no need for oil when heating with a heat gun. I put crisco on the first bow I ever bent because I was told to. It made a mess, made no sense to me, and I wondered about applying dyes and finish to the same surface afterwards, so I never did it again. I've done dry heat bends without oil hundreds of times since and I've never had one single problem. Take your time heating the wood... allowing it time to sink into the center of the stave. Just because the outside surface is hot doesn't mean the center is.

Dry wood, dry heat. Wet wood, wet heat.

Seasoned yew will bend with dry heat. As was mentioned above, it springs back off the form a little more than say, osage, but it works well. Overdrying yew is a concern. It's easy to do, so if you heat it a lot, or for a long time, to make your bends, allow it to rest for a week or two to allow the moisture to balance out again.

Oh yeah, and I agree with Pearl Drums, I'd never put paper on a yew bow that needed a backing... rawhide or maybe sturgeon.

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »
I always use oil or cisco with dry heat to keep the wood from drying out as much. Just use a small amount on a rag warm the wood first, then  wipe on and you wont have a mess at all.Keeps it from becoming too dry. It only lays on the surface and a few scrapes will put you in clean wood.
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 11:23:00 AM »
As I've said, it will have plenty of time to rest....hunting seasons are here, and I don't have time to build bows too much anyway.   Since I've already roughed out this bow, I wanted to get it set for final working over the winter.  

I've used heat plenty, with osage.   I've also boiled and steamed bow wood, so it's not my first rodeo....but I'm not one of those guys that bends everything into submission before attempting a bow.  This stave, however, needs just a bit of "tweak" to make it a good'n.  

Most of my past failures, I believe...and I'm talking "catastrophic" type failures....have been the result of dry heat application.  That and living in an already dry environment....so I like to use it sparingly, with plenty of "settle" time.   And yew...being one of the premier woods, but not one that I've done a lot with...I'd always heard did not like "dry"...so I was fishing for all of your experiences and opinions.  Thanks everyone!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©