3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My new bow! : New Firefly TD longbow  (Read 2642 times)

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
My new bow! : New Firefly TD longbow
« on: February 25, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »
This ever happen to you?

You're at work all day knowing that there is a new bow that will proly arrive today. You keep looking at the clock anxiously waiting for quittin time so you can get outta there and get home to check the mailbox for one of the orange slips that tells you ya gotta go the post office to pick something up. You take off to the post office and when you get there there's about half a dozen people...you get in line. You finally get to where theres just one little ol lady in front of you but she has a zillion questions and wants to talk about her bunnions and the clerk is nice enuf to talk with her. She finally leaves and you hand the clerk the slip. sign for it and head for the truck. You are tempted to open it right there but it's only a couple miles from home so you take off. On the way you hit every light in town and get behind someone turning left to boot. You finally get home and into the shop and you pull out the knife and start cuttting the tape on the box. You get it about half way cut and try to open the box and realize it aint gonna open till you cut all the tape. You cut some more, try to open, cut some more, try to open. Finally you get the box open and you see the contents are wrapped and packaged well. You figure a little snip here and it should come undone...no good. You snip again...still no good. You finally give in and cut all the tape and it finally unwraps and here's what you get...

This bow was built by Jim Jones of Firefly Longbows. She is RH, 58" long, 60@28, tillered for 3 under, cut 3/16" past center.  She has an all bacote riser except for the rosewood accents. The limbs are bamboo cored with bacote veneers and caps. After I set it up I shot a set at 20 yards then a couple at 35 yards then I called Jim. I told him I only had one complaint....that I was gonna be blowin up arrows with this bow.  My first group at 35 yards was 6 arrows and I pulled them all out with one hand. This thing is a missle launcher. When I contacted Jim I discussed how I wanted a bow built to fit my shooting style. He built the first bow that has been built fot me that was as close to perfect as I have come. My only regret is I cant shoot at a deer right now.

Jim has one fine bow with excellent craftsmanship, excellent finish, excellent grip...there is nothing I can do to improve this bow. One fine bow from a fine man to boot.

Offline zwickeyman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My new bow! : New Firefly TD longbow
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 07:51:00 PM »
Man I love Bacote. I've heard good things about these congrats!!

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 07:55:00 PM »
sweet lookin bow :0)
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 07:58:00 PM »
:eek:    :notworthy:   Congrats
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 08:02:00 PM »
man I now how you feel, I walked 2 miles to goto the post office, line was huge, flirted witha cute girl by accidednt, realized it was getting dark, then ran back the 2 miles as fast as i could to get the last 20 min of light to string and shoot the bow!!

the wait and obsticals are torture!!

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »
Jim, I guess your happy with it!!?? Good luck with that pretty bow. Thanks for the great review too.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »
Yes I am.  Of all the bows I have owned this is only the 3rd custom I have ever had made for me. Dave Dwyer made me a longbow, Bruce Baughn made me a recurve, then this. There are alot of bows in between but it took me several years to figure out EXACTLY how I am going to shoot and what I need to shoot that way. When I talked to Jim and we discussed this I placed the order and he built this bow EXACTLY the way I wanted it built. His price was more than fair and his workmanship is excellent. I'm really happy with this bow.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »
Very nice.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »
Very nice indeed.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 03:05:00 AM »
Heydeerman - thanks for answering my other thread - it ties in exactly with this one.

I am so excited about this bow - especially after reading this.  Can you just explain why you asked to have it cut past centre 3/16.  AS I said in my thread Jim can do for me, but I am not sure of all the implications.  It must be desirable to do so - because you asked.

I have not picked my timbers yet - this looks so classy I am thinking of just going for the Bocote.

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 06:59:00 AM »
Very nice bow!!!!  :bigsmyl:
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline NANUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 07:10:00 AM »
Nice lookin bow!!!
" Don't be bitter, Be better!"

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 10:47:00 AM »
Very nice Bow!!!!

Wish I could figure out how I wanted to shoot...

Congrats!!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »
WOW nice bow.  If it shoots even a quarter good of how it looks it would be a great shooter!  Enjoy!
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 02:19:00 PM »
Great looking bow.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 05:20:00 PM »
Jim, ya got an unstrung profile photo? Very Nice! Shawn
Shawn

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 06:57:00 PM »
I'll have to take another pic. I'm not too crazy about my pics. I like to do em outdoors but its kinda crappy out.

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »
I love bocote!  Never thought of an all bocote bow, but me like!

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 07:22:00 PM »
Jim, Thank you for the wonderful photos of a gteat looking bow. How do you like the cut past center and did the bower suggest it? What arrow shaft was shooting good for you. Is the phyical weight feel heavy. Hate to ask so many questions but you have showed us a beautiful bow. Thanks, and I know about the Post Office, and now I open it there and look at it. The only problem is I keep looking back at it in the back seat on the 5 miles home and have to watch my driving. Ken
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »
I have had a few bows with contrasting wood. My Assenheimer I just sold was one of em. Although they are beautiful bows, bows that look like this one just suit me better. Before I ordered it I looked at the pics on Braveheart's website and really liked the Rosewood bow but I talked with Jim and told him I wanted an all Bacote bow, even thelimb caps and accents. It does have bacote accents but he wanted to add a little more strength since he was cutting it past center and used Indian Rosewood since it would look good with the bacote grain. It turned out real nice.

I shot Vapor Carbonwood 3000 with 300 grains up front. They shot about 3 inches to the left at 35 yards. I think if I took about 25-50 grains off the total weight the would be dead on. Or I could move up to the 4000 series.

I have the first bow Jim made cut past center. I requested it because I shoot with very little cant and I have a semi-gap style of shooting and shoot to the left with bows cut to center. I have always shot Sovereign recurves better than any other bow...untill now, and I found it was because of the riser cut the way it was. It works for me and I'm lovin this bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©