Author Topic: Purpose of backing???  (Read 231 times)

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
Purpose of backing???
« on: August 17, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
I have just about finished up building my first bow. It is a red oak 68" 46# @28". Man I had a lot of fun building it and can't wait to get started on another one. I have went and bought a drill press and put a sanding wheel and and picked up a nice band saw today. So I am ready. My question is on backing. What exactly is the reason for backing. I have shot the bow maybe 100 shots now with no backing. But I do not want to ruin it if I really need it on there. So please explain its need and what is the material of choice to be functional and look good. Thanks

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Purpose of backing???
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »
A backing can serve to prevent a splinter from lifting on a back.  If you have questionable grain or really thin rings on osage, it is a good precaution to put a rawhide or other similar backing on there to prevent splinters.

A backing can take over some of the tension work.  On some designs, a sinew backing will really make a performance difference.  For composite bows, like bamboo backed osage, you are gluing an extremely strong tension backing material onto an extremely strong compression belly.

A backing can protect a soft wood from damage.  On yew, we often leave the sapwood for the back.  It is soft and subject to damage so a rawhide bcak will protect it.

If you have a good grain on your oak bow, you will not need a backing.  Many, many bows do just fine without one.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »
Good explanation thank you.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
The backing is protection against raising a splinter, or growth ring, on the back of the bow when it is under stress.  If the board has exceptionally straight grain you probably won't need a backing.
I've made a number of red oak board bows with and without backing. I have one board bow with paper as a backing. Another I used a thin slat of hickory as a backing. And of course, I tried the fiberglass sheetrock tape as a backing.
Of those three I like the paper best. I have some old camo jeans that I plan to use as a backing in the future.
Hope this helps, AC.
This bow making stuff is fun, ain't it?  :bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©