Author Topic: Tiller help on reflexed bow plz:)  (Read 240 times)

Offline k-hat

• Trad Bowhunter
Tiller help on reflexed bow plz:)
« on: August 19, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
Ok, so this is my first 3" heat tempered reflex bow.  My virgin eyes are havin trouble with tiller.  I did the initial tiller to about a 5 inch brace, pretty much perfect (had absolutely zero set at this point   :) ), before i did the tempering and reflexing.

After a few days of rest, here she is, A LOT heavier i must add:

So, it looks to me like there's too much going on at the fades/inner thirds and not enough at the middle and outer thirds.  Or is this the way a reflexed stave should look initially?

Any help from the more experienced eyes is greatly appreciated!

Posted this on another site as well, mostly cause i'm impatient   ;)   Apologize for the double duty.
Kevin

"he hath bent his bow, and made it ready . . .his arrow shall go forth as the lightning" - Psalm 7:12, Zech. 9:14

Offline WestTexan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tiller help on reflexed bow plz:)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »
Kevin are you still using a long string... If you are your tiller will not look right it gives a false reading.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
Yeah get it on a short string and it will help you out a ton.  It will be a great looking bow though.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »
I agree on a short string. Brace that bow up to about a 3 or 4  inch brace height before doing anymore wood removal. A shorter string is going to apply more pressure to the outer limbs. Are you using a tillering gizmo? Bow doesn't look bad though.

Offline Living_waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »
K-hat I agree with the need for short string as soon as possible. At this point it looks pretty good. The way the reflex is, fades and inner third of the limb will look like it has a lot going on fast, but that is because there is not much reflex there. If you look at it reflex really starts to be aggressive on the outer two thirds. If you D tiller it you will loose reflex and possibly end up whip ended, coming in under weight of the bows potential. Pay more attention to how much the wood is bending and not as much to the finished arc. A reflexed bow will not normally have a perfect D arch limb.  I try to resist taking very much off the outer 1/3 until I am with in a couple of inches of my draw, I know me, I have too many whip ended bows in my pile to remind me.
"Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'” Jesus

Offline k-hat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 12:51:00 PM »
Yeah i know the long/short string bit, believe me!  The one in the pic is about 3" longer than the one i tried to brace with.  I worked a couple of stiff spots then tried to brace this morning.  It stayed braced for a few minutes when the string creeped down to the belly so tight i could barely get a finger under it.  I worked her a bit with that one this morning and softened up midlimbs a touch.  Going to shorten the string some more and get a low brace on her tomorrow or wednesday.  I'll start using my gizmo then.

Thanks waters.  I'll be wary about that for sure.  A whip ended bow will not do on this one!

Thanks again West, Roy, and D.
Kevin

"he hath bent his bow, and made it ready . . .his arrow shall go forth as the lightning" - Psalm 7:12, Zech. 9:14

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©