Author Topic: core tuff glass?  (Read 309 times)

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
core tuff glass?
« on: August 20, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
On a glass bow does adding .030 core tuff glass in a stack add the same weight as .030 of wood?I would think since stack thickness would be the same the weight would come out the same.But i dont know?I tried a serch on here but could not fined an answer,Thanks Scott

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: core tuff glass?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
I think Dmaxshawn and I decided it would be heavier that way and it wasn't.

CRS has set in, should take notes, but would fergit where I put em!  :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
It is generally accpeted that glass is heavier than wood, so if there would be no draw weight gain.  Would speed go down?  I don't think the core tuff will help with twist, I think that is the purpose of uniweft.  Have never tried either in a limb.  Let us know how it works out should you decide to use it.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
Speed might lag a little, but I bet you couldn't tell it without a chrono and shootin machine.

JMO tho  :)
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
Thanks guys.What do you mean forget where you put the notes Kenny.Id have to remember where i put the pen and paper first before i even got a chance to misplace the note!LOL

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 11:52:00 PM »
I could be totally wrong with the following but for what its worth, I seem to remember that timber core stack [tapers] adds around 3# per thou and glass back and belly 'round 1# per thou. Even if that's right no idea if it applies within a stack though  it should remain the same, I guess.

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 11:59:00 PM »
Have to correct what i said in above post. My senior moments are getting longer!Should be 1# per 3 thou of wood and 1# per .0001 for glass. these figures are rubbery and only apply in certain cases anyway so may be of no use.

Offline johnny girardi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
Scott this is what I would suggest. Build a bow about 5# less than one you want.I think it will be a little heaver but not like glass skins.I have an old costemer that has been building all glass bows. He said the new glass(epoxy base)works great.It will not improve the bow in anyway that I can think of.

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
I use to use a lot of Core-Tuff many years ago, .030 CT is the same as .030 boo in the stack on my bows. I have been tinkering with Uni-Weft lately and I like it a little better than CT. A lot of bowyers use Uni-Weft these day in both Recurves and Longbows. I ran mine on the back of the handle on a couple test bows, it really adds a lot of stiffness to the riser wood and strength through the site window. My chrono with me shooting cant pick up any loss in performance either.

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
Thanks so much for the help everyone.Scott

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 07:33:00 AM »
It may be a mental thing, but I shoot bows with a uni-weft core, much better than those without. This is for R/D longbows and I believe it is a limb torsion thing.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 11:15:00 PM »
I use uni-weft as a center core on all my glass bows; just the way I was taught.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©