Author Topic: DEFLEX TO REFLEX QUESTION?  (Read 288 times)

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
DEFLEX TO REFLEX QUESTION?
« on: August 28, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
I posted this over on PA, but wanted to get some input here, as well. I just recently built my second hickory selfbow, the first for myself. I made the rookie mistake of cutting the bow down too close to finish dimensions before it was good and dry. I should have strapped it to a board to prevent this, but the bow pulled into about 3" of deflex, uniformly along both limbs. When I finally got started on the bow I achieved a good floor tiller on both limbs and then clamped it down to 3" reflex caul. I left the limbs a little thick as I felt that I would get some tension cracks, which I did when I put the heat to it. I was able to get under all of the tension cracks and after final tillering. The bow was standing straight after final tillering. I was scared to put it back on the reflex caul, worried it would develop more cracks. So I tried to very gently flip the tips a bit. One did great and one didn't. I ended up having to pike about 2.5" off of each end and ended up with a much shorter bow than I planned. Now to my question, should I have tried to re-hydrate the stave by soaking it and then try to steam the deflex out of it? How do you guys handle this type situation? Sorry for the long explanation.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: DEFLEX TO REFLEX QUESTION?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »
This is what we call the learning process. Usually though, compressed wood is compressed wood. While you may have gotten it to bend back by steaming or whatever, it will end up following the string again if it survives. We all hate to give up on a bow, but if we don't move on, we don't get to build as many bows!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: DEFLEX TO REFLEX QUESTION?
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 03:55:00 PM »
Thanks Tom. I got a shootable bow out of this one, just not the bow I wanted. This bow taught me a lot, so for that I am grateful. I will post some pics when I get it all set up. Shoots hard, but has about 1.5" of follow. 47#@ 27", but only 58" ntn instead of the 64" I was hoping for.
God is good, all the time!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©