Author Topic: 50" Osage orange Selfbow Tillering  (Read 516 times)

Offline Finding_The_Sweet_Spot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 50" Osage orange Selfbow Tillering
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 07:15:00 PM »
You know, I think this thing is salvageable. I'm basically keeping it as wide as possible, I'm going to back it, probably with linen (flax), and just go for whatever weight the bow want to be. In some way it's kind of interesting and fun, actually, to be slapped upside the head by a piece of wood, and now having it dictate exactly what I'm going to do with it...

Offline k-hat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
1/2" around midlimb is plenty for a hunting weight bow.  Where is the thin spot?  if not close to the fade area, you should be fine.
Kevin

"he hath bent his bow, and made it ready . . .his arrow shall go forth as the lightning" - Psalm 7:12, Zech. 9:14

Offline Finding_The_Sweet_Spot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2012, 02:59:00 PM »
Hi Kevin. I actually think it's going to be totally fine. It was just a bonehead move on my part. All of a sudden I started sweating, grimacing, cursing... I think we've all had these moments. The thin spot is actually just past the fades, so there shouldn't be an issue with that, especially as I suspect I'm going to end up being about 1/4" throughout the limbs from the end of the fades through the tip...maybe a bit more if I end up keeping the recurve static. Honestly, though, with such a short stave, I'm thinking it will need to be working (with enough gumption to retain the string at high angle). Thanks for the encouragement!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©