Author Topic: help with black locust please  (Read 198 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

• Trad Bowhunter
help with black locust please
« on: August 31, 2012, 06:17:00 AM »
Hey guys. I have tried to make a black locust self bow once before but halfway through the tillering process the bow developed compression fractures all over the belly. I know bl chrysals easily but I made the bow 70" tip to tip and 1 1/2" wide. here is my theory for what I could have done wrong. The wood may not have been dry enough, I may have tillered to quickly, and I did not heat treat the belly of the bow once the tillering had begun. I'm about to start on a new bl stave that has had another year to dry. Can you guys give me some ideas to prevent me from wrecking this one in the same way?

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: help with black locust please
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 04:15:00 PM »
The extra year will help alot! Tillering is very important with BL, take your time and use a gizmo to keep limbs even all the time. Any sign of a hinge will cause a fracture. Don't string it up too early!
Tempering of the belly is not really needed.
70" is not practical for me and would suggest going 64 " & 1 3/4 wide for a thumper and not a long shooter. You try and keep them edges rounded over belly and back, no squared off edges!
Flat bow designs are best for me when using BL rather than a "D" cross section design. The latter seems to get comprssion fractures the easiest.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Lee Lobbestael

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: help with black locust please
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
Ok thanks osage. That helps alot. I will go a little wider and work a lot slower.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©