Author Topic: No more cocobolo for me!  (Read 244 times)

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
No more cocobolo for me!
« on: September 04, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
Ive ben trying to build a cocobolo riser.So far ive learned this is some oily nasty stuff!Tried sanding it with 60 grit then 40 grit and it still gumms up my paper.Ive tried the belt sander,rigid ocillating belt,drum sander and disk sander.Ive decided this stuff is nasty. I finally got the accents glued in (I tried to make the tips of the hounds tooth design to come to a point in the riser which did not work well for me but i did  finally got it fitted and found out tips still did not come together in the riser it self)not exactly what i wanted but I glued it up.When cooled i  went to the arc jig to cut to shape.Long story short the riser isent going to happen due to an error on my part(forgot to slide the blade down guide on my band saw before using my arc jig) as i was watching the arc not realizing blade jumped out of guides and you can guess how that ended,your right scrap pile.So now ive got a block of Bacote i hope it works a little easier then the coco.Any words of encouragement or suggestions?Thanks,Scott

Online rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: No more cocobolo for me!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
bocote and cocobolo are nearly identical in how thy tool, but the end result makes it all worth while. if you dont like one you wont like the other so send it my way!
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 09:54:00 AM »
Cocobolo and Bocote are both a PITA!

Some pieces are much worse then others with gumming stuff up.

Hopefully your Bocote is not as oily.

Good luck!

Tenbrook

Offline stiknstringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
I've heard that some of the woods are toxic, with all that sanding best to wear protection.

Offline HMlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
cocobolo is really nasty stuff as is bocote so where a really good respirator and clean up after yourself.  The cocobolo is nasty for your lungs so don't breath it in

Offline Living_waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
When sanding, especially if I am turning coco I use drywall sand paper the kind that is the open mesh, also keep a rag and some acetone handy. A little harder to work with but the payoff is well worth it.
"Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'” Jesus

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
Thanks guys.I did wear a chemical cartrage mask when working with the coco.Ill do the same with the bocote.I cleaned up the edges of the bocote block with the jointer.So far it doesent seem near as oily as the coco i had.We'll see.Scott

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©