Author Topic: Prep for applying Matte finish?  (Read 209 times)

Offline richbat

• Trad Bowhunter
Prep for applying Matte finish?
« on: September 06, 2012, 01:07:00 PM »
I have an older Browning Nomad 1 that i recently refinished with Tru-Oil but now i'm wanting to go with a matte finish instead.Should i go back over the whole bow with fine steel wool including the limbs?Also will the matte finish wear through around the grip area?I'll be using Krylon Matte.Thanks,Rich
Richard Battistoni

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Prep for applying Matte finish?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »
What I do with selfbows is just do a quick spray of satin poly to get a matte finish on Tru-Oil.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline richbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 07:55:00 PM »
Pat,thanks for your response.I tried it today and after i used 0000 steel wool lightly over the limbs the Krylon Matte turned my limbs gray,don't know what happened,i cleaned the limbs good before putting it on and even thought maybe i just need more coats but not the case.Rich
Richard Battistoni

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 12:00:00 PM »
Something about the Krylon wasn't compatible with the tru oil. If you can get back down to the tru oil, I'd clean it again, let it dry good, and use Helmsman Spar Urethane.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
sand it down to 6 or 800 grit or so adjust till you find the luster you like best....being cautios of edges....and buff out with furniture wax.   Its a lot of work and will take maintenance like anything worth having...but you'll have a beautiful satin finish!

If it wasnt gray before steel wooling...it may not have been fully cured when you hit it with that steel wool.  I do it with arrows more often than I should admit (always find myself a short on time LOL).    Depending on how you apply multiple coats it can have an effect on how the undercoats dry.......doesnt sound like it IS the problem, but it could be...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©