Author Topic: Homemade Micarta in Riser, thoughts?  (Read 204 times)

Offline duplex

• Trad Bowhunter
Homemade Micarta in Riser, thoughts?
« on: September 06, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
I haven't done this yet, but was wondering how a homemade Micarta would stand up in a bow riser?

If you don't know what that is, it's Fiberglass resin with either a blue jean material or any other cloth material laminated and dried.  It turns out similar to a Dymondwood but without the wood to reinforce the resin, so I have questions about it's strength.  Then again due to the fabric it may absorb shock really well.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are, it's not traditional materials but could make for some interesting artistic flare to a take down bow, or a recurve period for that matter.

:archer2:

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Homemade Micarta in Riser, thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
If you do it correct there will be no problem at all.  If you do it wrong the bow could explode.....

Up to you.

We use phenolic all the time in riser to add strength and weight.  Micarta is basically the same thing.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

tenbrook

Offline duplex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
Ya definitely appreciate the input, I'm assuming the doing it right has to do with making sure there are no air pockets in the Micarta and making sure there's a decently thick piece of wood in the laminated riser to reinforce the entire length.

Wanting to build me one rather soon just need to get a few more tools before I start.

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 07:33:00 AM »
This is all coming from what ive read and researched, so take that into account, but there are several grades of phenolic with different applications. They make it from paper, linen, and canvas, among other things. The ones made of paper and other thin materials are more dense and can be sanded and more highly polished than the canvas or linen varieties. Modern billiard balls are made of phenolic resin.

From what I understand, most phenolics like micarta and G3 are formed under a great deal of heat and pressure. That's probably how they avoid the air pockets and make them seem so consistent.
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©