Author Topic: Inlay Question  (Read 229 times)

Offline kybowhunter2

• Trad Bowhunter
Inlay Question
« on: September 10, 2012, 10:31:00 PM »
I guess you would call it an inlay. I want to put an arrowhead in the riser of my takedown bow. I just dont know how to go about it. I have some ideas but I would like to know what your guys opinons are on it.

Thanks, Travis

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Inlay Question
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »
I'd trace out the arrowhead on the riser and then route out the material with a dremel. Go slow and get a good fit then glue it in.

Offline kybowhunter2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
After doin this could i pour epoxy over it and sand it down flat. I seen this before but I dont know what was used. i guess it was epoxy. I want to think zipper used to somthin like this. Cant remember.

Offline Cuban Missile

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 08:16:00 AM »
Epoxy works.  Just fill over top and when it dries sand it smooth so its plain with the riser.
Javier

Offline Dimondback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 07:32:00 AM »
When covering the inlay with epoxy, let it cure without heat. This will allow the tiny air bubbles that get stirred in while mixing to rise out of the surface. If you don't, they will get trapped and expand slightly under heat and you will end up with a "carbonated" effect in the cured epoxy (ask me how I know  :)  ). Early in the drying process you can tease some of the bubbles out with a tooth pick to speed things up a bit. It turns out super clear this way. Good luck!
"Do or Do Not, There is no "Try"
Martin Savannah 45#
3PC Home Built Longbow 53# @ 28"
MAJ - SCARNG 1998 - Present

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©