Author Topic: Help with Short Bendy Handle Layout  (Read 278 times)

Offline JR Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
Help with Short Bendy Handle Layout
« on: September 13, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
So I got a smaller Osage stave that I got down to one growth ring and it looks good. The only problem is at one point close to the center it goes down to 1 inch wide. It is about 67 inches long.

I am looking to make a bend in the handle bow with slightly reflexed tips, about 58-60 inches long, and in the mid 50s poundage wise.

This will be my third self bow so I am not that experienced. I have a few questions that you may help me out with.

1. Is my plan doable with a 1 inch wide handle?

2. Do you have a recommended layout to start with, I have searched but didn't find a detailed one. Specifically looking at the limb taper, when to start and what to end up with at the nocks.

I was thinking going 1 inch until about mid limb then tapering to 1/2 or 3/8 in nocks, but that is just me guessing.

Figured I would ask you all, thank you.
God Bless

Numunuu

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help with Short Bendy Handle Layout
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »
Divide your length into three and just make it the maximum width you can for the middle third of the bow, tapering to 1/2" nocks.  Make the handle area 3/4" thick and the rest about 5/8" and you will get 50# out of a 58" bow.  After you tiller, flipped the tips a bit.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JR Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help with Short Bendy Handle Layout
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
Mr, Scifres, Thanks for the assist, that is exactly what I was needing. I am gonna layout and begin reducing this weekend.
God Bless

Numunuu

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©