Author Topic: Full glass bows  (Read 412 times)

Offline gobbler716

• Trad Bowhunter
Full glass bows
« on: September 30, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
I am only curious about this since I have 4 of them.  But how are 100% glass bows built?  The ones I mean are like the old Ben Pearson fiberglass bows.
************************************************   :p  
I have several Sassafras trees that need to come down in my yard, after de-barking and sealing, how long should I wait before making a bow from this type of tree?  My plans do include having glass backing....especially from what I have read on this topic.    :D
To err is human, so keep practicing!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Full glass bows
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
I'm not sure, I have one here right now , doesn't look like different layers of glass.

Must be layed up that thick from the git-go...

Anybody??
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »
I've often thought they may have been extruded as a long continuous piece and hot molded in a press.
My cousin and I had similar bows back in the day.

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
We had a couple of these bows as a kid.They look like one piece of fiberglass to me.One I had had yellow and white swirls through out.All most had to be one piece of glass.L know if you leave them in the sun they'll fade to white.Then when you run your hand down them youll wish you hadent!LOL!Same goes for old fiberglass arrows.Ben there to LOL!

Offline johnny girardi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
The old all glass bows were made in a pulltruded polyuraphane base resin.The old glass skins even botuff was poly.base.They would pull fiberglass strands threw poly bath and lay it up on mold form to the shape. Fiberglass could be glued with urac 185 then.Fiberglass changed to epoxy base in 1970s when gas shortages came.I think it was a good change.We also now could get clear glass.Dont mine my spelling words not in my dictionary.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©