Author Topic: My first Yew Stave Project....  (Read 5765 times)

Offline Black Mockingbird

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My first Yew Stave Project....
« Reply #120 on: October 21, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
Good times again today at ole Roy's..and his yew is looking perfecto on the tree n just needs some weight reduced  ;)  can't wait to see her all finished up....thanks again for everything today Roy  :)

Offline PGHKEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: October 21, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
Had a great day today, hanging out with Roy and Chris. Couldn't ask for two better guys to observe and learn from. That yew stave tested Roy a little, but he hung in there. It's gonna be beauty. Thanks Roy

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: October 21, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »
That is looking sweet Roy. We finished up Gordon's bow here today. I put a bear tail wrap on and she is s real beauty. I try to get some pics up on it. Looked like fun day at your shop Roy
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: October 22, 2012, 08:13:00 AM »
Chris is a good guy to have around, he has excellent knowledge on bows/selfbows. When I went to a little shorter string on the yew, the string flipped over and strung her backwards. Didn't hurt anything though. So Chris ran his fingers up and down the limbs, he says it's too thick on this side of both limbs. So I took wood off the thick side twice and bingo that fixed her right up. String tracks right down the center of the handle and no more flipping over. I spent 10 hours out there yesterday, must have pulled that yew bow 300 times on the tree, little sore today but it's a good kind of sore:) After John and Chris left, I z-spliced a set of billets up and cut the z-splice on another pair. Kenny, I'm low on wood, Son:

Here she is this morning, still has some nice reflex. It will most likely be almost a straight bow when done and that is fine by me.

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: October 22, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
You are doing great Roy. Glad to see you taking her nice and slow. Just think of all that pulling on the tree as a work out for your thumpin list.  After all with a list as long as yours that might be very exhuasting.  :laughing:
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
Yule have wood soon son......  :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2012, 10:46:00 AM »
Thanks Keenan and guess I better get Kenny's name off the thumpen list again, at least for a few days..   :laughing:

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: October 22, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »
This build along is great ! Thanks, it has brought many smiles.
U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Online DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2012, 02:21:00 PM »
Looks like someone is about ready for some fish skins...   :archer:  

That's what some guys do anyway.   :goldtooth:
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2012, 03:22:00 PM »
Oh - No.... I'm not a real Yew Bow builder, I'm just pretending...   :biglaugh:

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »
She's looking real nice Roy.   :thumbsup:  
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: October 22, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by DVSHUNTER:
Looks like someone is about ready for some fish skins...    :archer:    

That's what some guys do anyway.    :goldtooth:  
:laughing:  That was good David. Better go easy on him, we don't want to scare him away when we finally got him on the right road. Slow gentle corrections and he'll be fleshin fish skins in no time  :laughing:    :archer2:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: October 23, 2012, 03:33:00 PM »
I have the bow to a 6 inch brace, have worked it to 22 inches on the tree. It's 45 at 24 inches, so I have more weight to take off. The right limb outer 1/3rd is a little flat, left limb looks good. The pull rope is tracking straight down the black vertical line which tells me the limbs are bending equally. So should I get the right limb bending a little better which will weaken it, then take an equal amount off the left limb to get the string tracking straight down again? The bow is equal length limbs, I am tillering for three fingers under. The arrow rest is 1 1/2 above dead center of the bow.

Below is a video, it will make ya dizzy though as I was holding the camera as I pulled the rope:) Click on the picture to start the video.

Offline Black Mockingbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: October 23, 2012, 04:12:00 PM »
I'd weaken the right limb mid limb to match the left, cus the right limbs your top limb. Then see what it looks like in the hand cus your only a couple inches away. That's my two cents. Almost there buddy  ;)

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: October 23, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »
Roy, the outer limbs are gonna be a little flat since they're reflexed, but I see what you're saying, the right one is a wee bit flatter. I think other than that it looks really good. It's hard to tell on the computer sometimes. I'm glad to see you're using that tillering tree right  :)

You're making me itchy to go out and start another yew bow. I've got a heavy English Longbow laying around here somewhere that's about 1/2 done. Hmmmm.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: October 23, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I think I will get the right outer limb bending a tad more, then see how the rope tracks, prolly have to tweak the left limb to get her back in line. I have about 5 more pounds to get off her yet. It is very close, guess I'm used to them deflex/reflex cookie cutter bow looks:) LOL

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: October 23, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
That is coming along very nice Roy. I agree the right looked slightly stiffer

Online DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: October 23, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
Looking good Roy.

I thought you might like that keenan    :laughing:  

Don't worry about Roy making the switch to Selfbows though, he would miss sniffing the glue to much.    :deadhorse:
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: October 24, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
Thanks Guys. We have company coming tonight and staying 4 days. So I'll not get back on her till Sunday. We got Bow Hunting to do here:)

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: October 24, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »
Good luck, Roy!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©