Author Topic: My first Yew Stave Project....  (Read 5761 times)

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My first Yew Stave Project....
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 05:03:00 AM »
If it was me, I wouldn't let the sapwood to heartwood ratio get too out of wack. If it appeared that it would go much beyond 3 to 1, I'd consider thinning the sapwood. What are your sapwood and heartwood thicknesses now?

I can't tell in the pictures, Roy. Is it faceted yet? or still square/rectangle?

Don't forget, when you round off the belly, you're gonna lose some weight.

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
Bowjunkie is right you will lose weight when you roll the edges on the belly and back.  I know that you are accustom to removing sapwood on Osage, but keep in mind that yew sapwood is actually good and the excellent natural backing. One of the advatages of yew is you don't have to chase a ring or spend allot of effort removing the sapwood. With 1/4" sapwood you are fine, and chasing a ring on yew sapwood is near impossible especially with that high of ring count. Though if you do decided to reduce chasing a ring isn't required. You just don't want to violate allot in one spot.
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
Sap wood to heart wood is like 2 heart wood to 1 sap wood at the tips, little more heart wood through the limbs though. I already have the belly rounded, I did facets on the back after I took those pictures of the bending last night. I don't want to take off any sap wood on the back or I will lose the character of the back of the bow. But I'll follow you two guys advice.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
Spent a lot of time on this Yew Stave today. I hope I am going in the right direction.

I heated the mid limb area and induced reflex in both limbs. I used  a 2 inch block at the tips.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
i  found that i got at least 50% springback with the yew- quite unlike the osage.
be interresting to see what you get?

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
It looks OK , I guess.................................................  :laughing:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
I just called the airlines. Wanted to book a flight to Linneus, Mo tonight. They said I gotta wait a few days. So Stay Sharp Kenny, ya get to hunt a couple more days, Son:)

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
looking good Ol Roy ! Can't wait to see what you end up with on her.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
Me either Kris, this is all new to me:) But I am having fun.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2012, 12:29:00 AM »
Roy, Flip her over and support where necessary then give her a good heating on the belly.(I almost made myself blush!) Not to induce color but heat her up good and let her cool over night.
  Even though the two woods are completely different I found yew to manipulate as well as osage with heat.   ...actually I'd get her tillered out a bit more them put the heat to her to set the reflex. I think it is time for long string tillering too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Black Mockingbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2012, 07:47:00 AM »
I hope you didn't heat the sapwood,that wood be a big no no...it looks like it....unless you heated the belly first unclamped then clamped it down. Ill heat yew up just to the point of where you start to see a color change on the belly while its already clamped down on a form.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2012, 09:03:00 AM »
The heat gun was pointed down so the heat bounced off the table under the belly. After it was hot I clamped it down. I never put heat directly on the sap wood.  I left it clamped all night and just checked it. Now it's got less deflex and hardly any reflex. I will have to induce reflex again. Now that I think about it, I had a brain fart. Instead of clamping the bow flat at the handle, I should have left the handle off the work bench and clamped the belly at mid limb flat, DUH... I'm thinking after all the heat corrections, I'd better let this bow sit some place where it's a little damper for a week or two.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »
Takes a bit more to get the heat to take in Yew for me. I pull it farther past where I want the heat to take it over say Osage or even white wood like Hackberry. It's pretty stubborn and needs a bit more coaxing to get it to stay ...  Nice piece of yew Roy,,,, sap to heart ratio looks great!!!
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »
Kipper I found out what you mean about Yew wanting to spring back from reflex induction, the hard way:)

Tonight I had another reflex go around with this Yew Stave. I'm thinking I might have my head screwed on straight this time:) I moved my little end blocks in towards the riser, after I heated it and clamped her down. I kept sliding them in till I measured 3 inches from the bottom of the limb tip to the bench. I also glued on the black buffalo horn tip over lays tonight. I hope in the morning I have more reflex in her, as she is still clamped up. This Yew Selfbow stuff is all new to me. I feel like a rookie, LOL! Now another question here. Since I have heat treated this stave 3 times, should I let it sit a while to gain more moisture back in her before tillering it on the tree?

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2012, 12:14:00 AM »
I'm no expert Roy but yes if it were me I'd let it set for a few days before I went to bending it.

You got me interested in seeing just how much of that bend you keep....  guess it looks OK for a Rookie   :biglaugh:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
Roy here is a pic of the stave of the R/D bow I showed earlier on this thread.The first showing amount of natural deflex. Then showing the bending set up. At this point in time I had not learned to use rubber pads to cushion the back of the stave, but I do now, and suggest doing it on this type of set up.The beauty of this, is that you can heat, then tighten the clamps, then heat and take a bit further to what you want.Then when I hit the point that I like, I do a complete and slow "deep heat" of the whole limb, directly on the belly. Excess heat blows on past so as not to cook the back of the stave. I get very little spring back this way.

Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2012, 10:07:00 AM »
I gotta make me a caul like that, Keenan. I guess I can live with the reflex I got.

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2012, 10:46:00 AM »
That is actually looking very good Roy. Not bad for a rooky southern boy  :bigsmyl:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »
Thanks Keenan.. And you must have skipped school when they taught about north and south.. I'm a Northern Yankee Boy:)

Now should I let this stave sit for a few days or so before I start tillering, because of the heat applied to it?

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
Northern Boy? really? I guess I forgot where ya live and it's just all that good ol boy humor that fooled me   :laughing:  
 Yes most certainly wait at least a day before tillering

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©