Author Topic: My first Yew Stave Project....  (Read 5766 times)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My first Yew Stave Project....
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
does that right limb have a tad more reflex in it that the other- or is it just an "optical dillusion"

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
:clapper:    :clapper:  Well done guys!
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »
Yes it does Wayne, just how it came out. We did both limbs the same in the form

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
Now that's some ReeeeeFlex!!!

Dang Roy excuse me got to make a trip to the kitchen that batch O sausage made me hungry   :bigsmyl:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
she gonna be kick*ss

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
Thanks, I hope so. I fugger she will end up with 1 1/5 to 2 inches of reflex after tiller and shot in. Only time will tell, gonna let her sit for a few days to pick up some moisture.

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
Might need to set for a week or so, just to dispell the gas from that dinner you made  :laughing:    :deadhorse:
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
Keenan, don't make me come out there ole boy:) But I gotta tell yunzs, I been eating sausage for two days now, and today the gas expulsion is really BAD. Been driving with the windows down all morning   :)

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2012, 05:30:00 AM »
That looks better now, Roy. Is everything still in alignment side to side?

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2012, 06:30:00 AM »
Yes it is Jeff. I'm giving it a few days to pick up some moisture it may have lost from the heat gun.

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2012, 11:41:00 AM »
"Been driving with the windows down"  Roy, roll them windows up ol boy, Ya don't want to cause a massive hole in the ozone layer do ya?  :laughing:

Offline k-hat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2012, 05:46:00 PM »
Lookn sweet Roy, you're making me wanna get my hands on some yew!  Can't wait to see how she turns out:)
Kevin

"he hath bent his bow, and made it ready . . .his arrow shall go forth as the lightning" - Psalm 7:12, Zech. 9:14

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
I'm thinking this Sunday, if all goes well, ya all will see a full draw picture... Ole Black Bird is coming down and we are gonna make bows again.

Offline Black Mockingbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
I'm ready for round two and watch her unfold..oughta be fun

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2012, 01:52:00 PM »
Roy
Not wanting to highjack your post but I am about to start like project and have a couple of questions seems it would be easier to use your post than start my own.

I picked up some nice yew billets and like the horn inlays for the tips idea. Can you or someone else following this give a little more on how you did your horn nocks. I like this post it was just in time. I have a yew bow that I made and didnt reinforce the nocks and one has spit, I was able to fix with glue but would like to forgo that with the billets I have. Also anyone have suggestions on glue for handle I have used urac 185 in past but anything else work?

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »
Not a problem, Jack. Feel free to jump right in.  All I ever use for handles is URAC, for horn tips I use smooth on. Lot's of guys use super glue for horn tips but I don't like that idea, just me though:)

I make my tip over lays 2.5 inches long by 5/8th wide. I taper the thin edge to a knife edge.

Then I lay the over lay on the side of the bow tip, leaving about 1/8th of wood stick out below the very end of the over lay on the belly side. Then I trace a line along it. When I cut the wood off, or grind it off, I stay just a hair off the line. Then I get it too the line with a rasp or sanding block while laying the over lay on it now and then to check for any gaps. I keep the end of the over lay flush with the end of the limb tip.

I run a toothing plane on the bow wood and horn over lay before glue up, but I stay about 1/4 inch away on the thin end with the plane.
Then use smooth on, wrap it with plastic wrap and wrap it very tight with many rubber bands and let her dry 24 hours at 70 degrees.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
Here is one rough sanded out.

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »
Perfect that is what I was looking for Roy. Where are you getting your Urac185? I was looking at 3R and they have a two part epoxy (smooth on is that what you are using for overlays?) that says in their cat it works with fiberglass but also wood to wood bonds as well. Wonder is it would work for splicing handles?

And Thanks for letting me join in, I like the way your bow is looking.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
Yes (smooth on) from three rivers will glue anything you want to. I get my urac from a local friend of mine, but I believe urac is still available out there on the net. Resorcinol is another good wood to wood glue.

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
Looking good Roy.  :coffee:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©